• In the Spotlight:

What do I do? I have a 15-year-old daughter and I found out when I let her go with her friends she is off smoking weed. I dont know what to do.

swshady

Asked by swshady at 11:51 AM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I would talk to her and tell her the behavior is not exceptable and that if she wants to go with her friends she is not to smoke weed. If she were my daughter I would tell her I would be giving her random drug tests and that if she continued to do drugs she would not be allowed to go anywhere but school and then home. This is not something you want to ignore. I stated smoking weed at the age of 12 and by the time I was 17 I started doing cocaine and was in rehab with a severe drug problem by the age of 18. Weed is a gateway drug meaning that it leads to other more severe drugs. Doing drugs is not typical teen behavior and can lead to life long problems and even death. There are other drugs mixed in with weed now adays, I knew someone back in high school that died from smoking weed because it was mixed with pcp and he overdosed by smoking one joint. Do not just ignore this, you need to act now before she becomes addicted.
    McKennasmama08

Answer by McKennasmama08 at 12:00 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• i did it at 15 too so idk what to tell you, just hope she dosen't get caught
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:53 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• dont let her go out with her friends
    onyourterms

Answer by onyourterms at 11:55 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Maybe scare the crap out of her the first time she gets caught and hopefully she wont do it again. Call the cops and have them come out and talk to her and maybe make her do some community service, show her what happens when the authorities get involved only you do it to her so she doesnt have a record. I would call and see if she can take a tour of the jail. Get her really hard the first time and hopefully it will scare her straight.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:57 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• It's a catch 22. I'd tell her to be careful and do not violate the trust you have for her. Once that trust is violated she's under your watch. If you tell her she cant hang with her friends or smoke pot, she will do it anyway out of rebellion. I broke my moms trust once and that's all it took for me.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 12:05 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Weed is not a gateway drug. I've been smoking since I was 13, and it certainly did not lead me to do any other drugs.
    Anonymous

• My girls have been around pot smoking all their lives, (not me) but alot of relatives and friends smoke it, and they actually dislike what they have seen and have no desire to do it themselves.I would start by letting your daughter know that it is illegal and give her the true break down of the legal consquences, I would tell her how you feel about it and I would her ask her for an honest answer to why she did, and do not accept the standard IDK or everyone else was. Everything we do is a choice and Ive never allowed my daughters to use someone or something else as their excuse for doing something not acceptable. Good Luck
    DramaTamer

Answer by DramaTamer at 12:19 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• well telling them they are not going to go with their friends and just go to school will only make her ditch and rebel more so id go with the lady that said to scare the crap out of her with cops and jail if it doesnt work id take my kid to a correctional school my brother is doing the same thing he is also 15 but my parents arent handeling well so i say you take major decisions to correct her mistake what if she is smoking with guys and she is voulnerable (dont know how to spell it) but she gets all stoned guys are going to take advantage of that.talk to her about that too.
    apple-bee-13

Answer by apple-bee-13 at 12:49 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• im fine with it as long as they arnt doing it under my roof, i never had easy access as a kid when i was 15 i smoked pot in the bathroom at school. i didnt get caught.
    Anonymous

• keep her away from those friends. i use to hang out with the wrong people, and i ended up pregnant.
    brunettebilly

Answer by brunettebilly at 1:04 PM on Mar. 25, 2009