Ok, now I'm confused...

Whenever the discussion of abortion comes up, MOST of the Christians here just say it's murder, it's sinful, it shouldn't happen no matter what the circumstances are, if you can't take care of a baby you should keep your legs closed, etc. Well I just read a previous post written by a Christian woman who got an abortion, and all the Christians who responded said god would forgive her and they would pray for her. Not ONE person told her she was a murderer, or that she shouldn't have had sex with her husband. Now, I'm pro-choice so I'm not saying ANYTHING against this lady's choice- but doesn't it strike you as a little hypocritical? If I posted saying I'm an athiest who had an abortion, would you all be so forgiving? Somehow I doubt it. Is this more of the "hate this sin, love the sinner" mantra?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've also seen a post about the young girl (9 years old I believe) who was raped by her uncle and got pregnant. Many responded that they were pro-life but in that case they would have to say okay to it. So, yes I think many who are pro-life can be hypocritical.

Personally, I'm pro-choice for just these types of reasons. It is impossible for us to truly know all the circumstances that could arise and I don't think we have a right to decide what a person can bear.
    Anonymous

• Its even more confusing when they say it is alright if it is due to rape or incest. Its murder if your having any other problem. But not murder if it is rape or incest.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 12:11 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Those Christians writing back to her weren't saying abortion was ok, but that God would forgive her for making that choice...because He does! Sin is sin...we've all heard that before. Sinning once doesn't damn us all to hell. We need to ask for forgiveness and turn away from the sin.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:11 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I dont know where your anger is really coming from, But i can tell you that being Christian is accepting Christ as our savior. If you understand that He died for us on that cross , so that when we DO sin, we repent, and we ARE forgiven. No person walking this world is perfect. We make mistakes , but we make them right by repenting to our Lord Jesus Christ. Going through suffering and making mistked can only make one seek Him and Be closer to Him.

Even murders can be forgiven ..if they only accept and ask Christ or forigivness..
    i dont know, if your asking someone else other that the Lord to forgive you, how certain are you that you are truly forgiven? What would one have faith in that one would feel completely forgiven, other that faith in Christ?.. This quesion of course applies to one who is seeking forgivness.

It is murder. Its is a sin. To believe in Christ is to be free of sin. >Amber
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 12:14 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• If you are talking about my question......"Am i forgiven" then I will stand up for those people who helped me. I've been so scared to write that ? because of the things you stated. I thought I'd be bashed all to heck. I'm not going to say that I am any one religion because I'm not, but I do have my beliefs. These people gave me so much comfort yesterday that I could finally sleep. My lesson learned is that even if and when I don't agree with others here about this debate, there is good in all of us, and that your beliefs have a foundation of good regardless of the manner in which I and or we try to get them across. I have many friends--atheists, Jews, and more in my melting pot, but it was here that I found some peace. If you agree or not with what I did, don't go against the people who offered me help. I'm not preaching or accusing so please don't think that, but I am taking a stand regarding my question. Thank you.

Anonymous

• Also maybe it is in the context of the questions and answers around here. My question did not attack any religion, but asked if I was forgiven for my sin. I wasn't trying to say who was right wrong or anything. I asked a question I've been full of fear about because I do believe in God, but don't have much religious knowledge or formal religious education. So please don't judge those who helped me. I'm seeing more clearly now, than I have in weeks. I'm not a sudden convert, just accepting of the forgiveness we and whatever God you believe can give. If you don't believe then I would call you friend, but since I do I had to know. I had to know for me based on taking responsibility for my abortion.

Anonymous

• Anon, - loss of words...but you are an amazing person!
    ..Keep praying for you :) ..hugs!!

OP, dont be so hard on yourself. :)
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 12:27 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Christians will never agree with sinning no matter what it is.(Real Christians anyway.) You cannot expect us to say yes abortion is ok. It would not have mattered to me what religion you are. I do know my response would of been that you need to have God into your life and repent. Then others would say I was being hateful for trying to give helpful advice.So something tells me if you did post it you wouldn't welcome Christians reply.

Alize26

Answer by Alize26 at 12:28 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Yes Christians can be hypocritical. I do agree with this.

Let me think about your question and get back to you on it if the question is still open. I want to answer as correct as I can. You do ask a very valid question and I am glad.
    I do have to say Christian or not abortion is still murder. I would treat the situation the same , however it is easier to explain forgiveness to a Christian than a non because the Christian already knows about God's forgiveness and has experienced it where as non christians have not had that experience. I will think on this more :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:36 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Most Christians believe that abortion is wrong. None of us truly believe that abortion in the case of rape or incest is ideal, or "right", but we understand that there are circumstances that we don't fully understand or have never been in the middle of and so we understand that some women make that decision in an effort to save their mental health. My personal belief is that the "choice" was made when a woman has sex, therefore, when I woman did not do so by choice, I can't necessarily believe that she is bound by having already made the choice, because in reality, of course, she did not make the choice. I believe that in these instances the decision should be made prayerfully and with spiritual guidance, because once it's done, you cannot take it back. The life has already been sacrificed.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 12:40 PM on Mar. 25, 2009