How bad IS delivery? What's less painful? Natural or c-section?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• wasn't this asked yesterday. honey you need to just not worry about it.. its a natural thing that your going to just have to suck it up and deal with it. It hurts, bad. But Once its over, its over. I had natural with an epidural. I never had a csection but I can guarantee that is worse because then you have to heal an incision.
    Anonymous

• I had four children by natural childbirth. No meds whatsoever, It is painful, but it does not last long and this is what i wanted. Just stay focused. You can do it!
    jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 12:07 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Neither is "less painful" - they are just painful in different ways, at different times.
    If you are thinking of choosing c-section to save yourself pain, think again. You will have a much longer recovery and several studies have found long term health effects for the baby - one of those is a much higher risk of developing asthma. If you want to know about "pain" ask a mother of a child with asthma how painful it is to watch your child gasp and struggle for breath, to not be able to run and play with the other kids, about the fun of trying to get an infant or toddler to do her breathing treatments.

How bad is delivery? It hurt, yes. But mostly I just remember how tired I was.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:11 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I am a birth doula and have had over 30 clients and 10 of those were c-sections. I think (this is coming from someone who has never had a s/c but still) that a c/s is less painful when you are delivering (you are numb obviuously) but it is a harder recovery. Labor is hard, really hard, but the recovery is better, and there are certain things that the baby goes through that they benefit from when being "squeezed" out. I have had mom's that have only had a c/s say that they dont regret it and that it was the way to go, but I have never had a mom that has experienced both a c/s and a vaginal birth say they prefered surgery. Labor can be less painful if you work with the pain. If you want to talk or for me to go into more detail, please message me. I hate to push a ton of info on people, I am the type to give pros and cons and you decide what is best for YOU. Let me know if you want to talk.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:12 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• c-sections are meant to save the life of the baby and mother.
    vaginal births are what our bodies are meant to do.
    Anonymous

• I am going to say natural. natural is just safer and better all around though. If you don't learn to cope with pain, initially a natural labor could be more painful, but a c/s is major abdominal surgery, so recovery time is worse and it's more painful later, I would imagine.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:17 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I will add that labor is not as bad as people make it, especially if you prepare and don't allow unnecessary hospital intervention. My labor with Becka was going very smooth, for an induction, until my OB broke my water without asking. :( I enjoy labor, and am looking forward to a 100 percent natural, intervention free home birth!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:20 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I was terrified of childbirth when I was pregnant with my first, and when it was over, I was like "That's it?" It was painful, but not nearly so bad as I'd feared. I have seriously had migraines that hurt a lot worse and lasted longer. There are a lot more risks to both you and the baby from an unnecessary C-section. Don't be afraid of birth mama, your woman's body knows what to do and you can do it!!!
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:41 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I have had both an unmedicated natural vaginal birth and a c-section. I would NEVER have another c-sect unless it was needed to save the life of myself or my baby!
    No matter how much it may hurt to push the baby out, once baby is out it is OVER! With a c-sec you have to recover from major surgery (while trying to care for a newborn).
    Try not to worry! Millions and millions of moms have given birth (at home, in a cave, in a teepee, an igloo, next to a tree etc.). Most of the time baby comes out just fine, and if it hurt that bad, everyone would only have one child :-)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:41 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I have had both.I like natural child birth better(of course my labor lasted 3 hours start to finish)I had no drugs,though when we arrived at the hospital,I asked for something to "take the edge off" however I was at 8.5 cm.so the answer was no.With the c- section the recovery time was much longer,and I still had hemroids to deal with,plus the sutures and the concerns of possible infection and feeling so much more tired, than when I had a natural childbirth.
    gardeneraholic

Answer by gardeneraholic at 12:41 PM on Mar. 25, 2009