How do I get my son to like bathing?

Everytime I give my son a bath, he screams like he's done something wrong. He's 19 weeks old and we plan to get him into the swimming pool this summer and if he doesn't like baths, how will he be in the swimming pool. Please help!

keusch411

Asked by keusch411 at 12:11 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• make bath time stimulating. i didnt hav this problem with my dd. she fell asleep in the bath right off the bat but my mom had this prob with my lil sister. she had to put a bunch of toys in the bath and some lit up (didnt go in to the water) maybe humm a little bit so they know that ur there. about the pool thing, drs say not to take babies under 1 into the pool. it can cause lung problems and can lead to asthma or chronic bronchitis later on in life or even now.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 12:19 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• My son never screamed during baths, but he was very...blah about them; he just kinda sat there and stared at me, like "what are you doing?" I figured he'd be the same way in the pool, but he had a great time, splashing and playing, and it turns out that's what made him actually start enjoying his baths. After that first time in the pool, he started splashing around in the bath tub and actually having fun. So maybe that's all it will take, who knows. Good luck!
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:35 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Have you tried bathing with him?
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• My sons were the same way until we made the water WARMER. Stupid baby duck water thermometers...said the water was too hot so we cooled it off. Our guys liked their water warmer!

Play with water temperature, make sure the bathroom isn't chilly and he's nice and toasty.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:02 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• With our twins, we have that rainforest bathtub and I was using that sling thing on top where it just kind of hovers over the tub. They would scream bloody murder the whole time. A couple of weeks ago, I put one end down in the tub where they are sitting in the tub, but leaned back on the side of the tub and the little pillow behind their head. My baby boy loves it and just talks and kicks his legs and gets super excited! My baby girl tolerates it. If she is super tired or if she's hungry, she is less tolerant, but I think she is so used to the routine that she knows a bottle follows! Maybe try making sure that he's not super tired! I know it may be part of your calm down routine for the night, but if he's tired, he will be fussy. Good luck!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 1:13 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Make sure water is very warm. it cools down fast and baby gets chills. at his age, he'll get chills even faster. Is he sitting up? You may want to do a fast sponge bath until he is better able to sit up and enjoy the bath.
    Anonymous

• Our son was the same way. First, I don't use the thermometers because I think they make the water too cold. Ours screamed in the bath the first 4 months, even if I bathed with him but he loved the shower and at 6 weeks he liked the pool. at about 4 months he began liking the bath, especially if I kept it shallow so he could lay on his back and move himself by kicking.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 4:54 PM on Mar. 25, 2009