nursing question... please help!

Ok, so my son is 7 weeks old. I've been only breast feeding him sense he was born. But for the last 4 days I've been really sick. So sick that I couldn't nurse him and had to put him on formula. So now that I'm better I'm having alot of problems trying to get him back on the breast. First of all I don't think he's getting enough milk so I don't know what to do. I had to give in and give him a bottle last night because he was just so hungry. I really don't want to have to stop nursing him but now I think I may have no choice. Please if anyone has any advice I really need it. Thanks for reading this.

Kayla

kaylaylshfr

Asked by kaylaylshfr at 12:17 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try to pump and get him used to your breast milk again. Then try to get him used to your breast again. I hope this helps.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 12:28 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• pump and always offer the breast first. stay hydrated, eat oatmeal to help with your supply. certain medications can decrease milk supply and not nursing has a huge impact on your supply. you generally don't need to quit nursing when sick though...

I say stop with the formula, nurse or pump breastmilk. He will eat and wont starve.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:30 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• The best way to be sure he gets enough is to just keep nursing. Watch his diapers. The ONLY way to know if he's getting enough is the number of wet/dirty diapers. You want 6-8 (soaked is 2) wet/dirty diapers in a 24 hour period. If he is "acting" hungry or unsatisfied, that's normal. He does that to help increase your supply. DON'T give him a bottle! You will only keep decreasing your supply. It just tells your body it doesn't need to make milk when it really needs to. You are never really empty. The more you nurse, the more milk you will make. If you want to, you can also pump while you nurse and in between feedings. That will also help to increase your supply. If you have any questions, feel free to message me.

aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 12:44 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Bring baby into bed with you. Take your shirt off and have him only in a diaper. Let him nap on your bare chest. Encourage him to nurse as much as possible, all day long.
    If he won't take the breast, pump, and bottle feed, but stop before he finishes the bottle and try and get him to take the breast to finish the feeding.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:45 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I agree with celticreverie.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 1:37 PM on Mar. 25, 2009