What are some NOVELS I can read to my toddlers?

We have two bookcases full of "kid" books, and we read a few every night, but I am looking for books (150 pages or more) to read to them at night as they fall asleep. We read the kid books together, then I sit in there and read out loud with some soft music and dim lights until they conk out!
So far we have read all of the "Little house on the pararie" books, we will be reading Harry potter but not until they are a bit older... any suggestions of good books to read out loud to kids? My son is 4 and my daughter is 2.. the subject doesnt really matter all that much as long as its a kid friendly one.

LuminousMom

Asked by LuminousMom at 12:36 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I just finished reading Stuart Little to my boys. They had seen the movie, but really enjoyed the book.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 12:37 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• My boys are 2 yo and 4 yo.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 12:38 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Charlottes Web?
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 12:39 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I readd Matilda to my dd...and Im reading James and the Giant Peach next. What about the box car children? i always loved those or magic treehouse series. We love Junie B jones...it is hilarious!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:40 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I would read the big book of Mother Gooses Nursery Rhymes. I would not do a noverl, I don't think, they might get bored. IMHO.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 12:40 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• *novel*, sorry
    KARRIEMARIE

• Roald Dahl is an excellent author, as many other mamas have pointed out. Also, you could read some Shel Silverstein books. They are one or two page poems for the most part, but the books are several hundred pages long.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 12:59 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• The Wizard of Oz. James and the Giant Peach. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Charlotte's Web.
    Trixiebelle2

Answer by Trixiebelle2 at 1:03 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Anything by E. Nesbit. I was reading Michael Crichton novels to the boy by the time he was two; he LOVED Jurrasic Park!
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 1:10 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Thank you guys these are all great suggestions so far! I didnt even think about some of the ones mentioned!!

KarrieMarie- we have that book actually, great book! We already do read novels, and they love it.. We look at kids books together.. then they get in their beds and I read out loud from novels until they fall asleep. They are meant to get bored, it puts them to sleep! LOL.
    LuminousMom

Answer by LuminousMom at 1:39 PM on Mar. 25, 2009