My oldest daughter is turning 5 in May and I want to give her a gift with meaning and start a tradition for birthdays gifts for years to come. Any ideas?

2GR8LILGRLS

Asked by 2GR8LILGRLS at 12:46 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You could do the "add a pearl necklace" or a charm bracelet.

What I do is I create a photo book at Shutterfly.com. The book is a compilation of pictures from the year - I also take pics on her actual b-day. The downside of it is I have to give it to her 1-2 weeks after her bday.

BTW, you don't have to use Shutterfly.com, there are a lot of photo sites that have them.

Good luck!

jspy72

Answer by jspy72 at 12:53 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• You know what we are doing for my son's first birthday? We are having a living will drawn up between us and her godparents so that if anything ever happens to me and my husband he is cared for. Of course, this isn't something you have to actaully wrap and give to your daughter. If you explain what it is you may actaully scare her. But you can tell her about it when you feel she is ready.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 1:10 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I would do a charm bracelet, or even a build a bear and just get her a new one each year. they arent too expensive and kids LOVE them. the build a bear you might be stopping in the tweens. but it would be fun for now!!! =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 1:49 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• What about something little like writing her a letter or poem? Something that tells her what she's meant to you and your family for that year. Tell her what you thought being 4 was like for her and how's she's changed and grown through out the year. This way each year you can write her a new letter and maybe have a special box that she can keep them in. When she graduates highschool or something, I bet it would be really nice to go back and read them! :~)
    danni33

Answer by danni33 at 3:53 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Every year starting this year (for my son's 1st Birthday)...I bought a regular frame that included a mat, some scrapbooking paper with fun, cute or the party theme, stickers. I decorate the backing with the scrapbook papers and a picture of my son when he was 1 week old and left a place to add a picture of his birthday party. I have the guests at the birthday party sign the frames matting, etc. Then I put it in the frame and hang it up. Each year I will replace it with the new one and save the one in a memory box.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 4:31 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Her first dariy
    cruicky

Answer by cruicky at 4:49 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• With my youngest sister my mom bought the precious moments with the ages on them so now that my sister is 18 she has them all collected
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 4:50 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I WOULD SUGGEST PRECIOUS MOMENTS OR FIGURINES LIKE IT...MY MOM BUYS ME SOMETHING WITH A ROSE ON IT EVERY YEAR FOR MY BIRTHDAY (IT COULD BE A CRYSTAL ROSE, A PICTURE, PILLOW, ANYTHING WITH A ROSE ON IT). ITS COOL BECAUSE ITS ONLY SEMI-PREDICTABLE...I NEVER KNOW WHAT KIND OF "ROSE" ILL GET. BY THE WAY, SHE GETS ME ROSES BECAUSE MY NAME IS ROSE =)
    ANDYSHUNNY

Answer by ANDYSHUNNY at 8:45 PM on Mar. 30, 2009