when to call DHR part 2

He has NO structure he eats whatever he wants. He goes to bed whenever he wants. He has HORRIBLE seperation anxiety over his mother. There are so many things wrong. He wont look up when you talk to him like he doesnt know how to socialize or something. He is in the 15 percentile on his weight I think it is from stress. with that being said..she is good to him she NEVER physically abuses him, and my brother is doing everything in his power to help but it isnt his child. He loves and takes care him for the most part, But his mother wont let him do much...Do I need to call DHR??? I don't want to tear the family apart but something has to change or she is going to die, and her son won't have a mother or a father

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• I said in your FIRST question that now is the time. Doesn't get more easy than that. It's not a situation that a child should be in.

Anonymous

• If you are wrong, and the child should not be removed, the worst that will happen is that they will help her get her act together and do an investigation. If she is neglecting him to the point where the situation is dangerous, then you have definitely done the right thing and she will STILL get help, and her son will be safe while she is getting treatment. CALL NOW!!! Foster care is not ideal. I say this as a foster parent. But it's still better than the situations many many of these kids come from.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 1:08 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Call now. If the child is not being neglected, I doubt they will take the child away. They will most likely give her the option of rehab or some sort of program -or- lose the child. This will serve as a wake-up call. Even if they have to take the child away, they do everything in their power to reunite the child with the mother. Your decision now could change her life forever, and for the better. Call, get her the help she needs. She does not have to know that you're the one who made the call. It is unhealthy for that little boy to grow up in that environment, and it will leave an everlasting psychological damage if something is not done soon.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 6:44 PM on Mar. 25, 2009