How can I help my dog poo?

She is a Basset Hound and I think that she is constipated. Her tail is hanging down and she barely wags it. Usually, it is ALWAYS up and wagging. She doesn't seem to be in any pain. She lets me touch her tail and her bum. I think she may have had a little too much cheese. She poo's every time we take her out and she seems to be having some trouble....HELP!

Babylove76

Asked by Babylove76 at 1:17 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Pets

• I dont know why some moms are against it but there is a difference between giving your dog table scrapes (food from your plate) and Feeding your dog the BARF diet or doing the raw food thing. Feeding your dog the BARF diet is very healthy for them. Dogs are omnivores. But you need to do your research so you dont feed your dog something they shouldnt eat.
    itsokmomshere

Answer by itsokmomshere at 9:26 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I have heard that giving your dog some plain unsugared pumpkin works.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 1:23 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• First off, don't give your dog table food, lol. Make sure your dog gets plenty to drink. When was the last time it pooped, lol? Maybe a small amount of milk will move things along since most animals seem intolerant to it.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:24 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• call the vet, the ones around here, ( i live in a pretty rural area) will just get you something ready and you can swing by and pick it up and give it to her at home. It is usually a liquid to squirt in the mouth or on some soft food. If probably was the cheese. If they are not use to it table food can really mess the systems up. It is just to rich for them. Although they beg and beg for more. And try not to switch brands of dog food once on one. That is hard on them too. If possible use an uppergrade one like pro plan or eukanuba. If from walmart, purina one, or iams is the best.
    Anonymous

• I have always fed her Iams Naturals with real chicken or fish mixed with a raw egg and green beans, peas and/or carrots. She gets treats of cheese and sweet potatoes on occasion. She also gets real bones for chewing; never any rawhide. Since she is at increased risk of bloat the preferable diet for them is BARF. She has a beautiful silky fur coat and her nose is cool and wet. She seems a little warm on the bum so my SIL said to give her a baby aspirin and some benedryl to help her rest. She is pooing and peeing and has been drinking the same amount of water she usually does. She just won't raise her tail and it seems so sad. My SIL thinks she is "stuck up" so I guess only time will tell.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 2:21 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• If she is pooing then she isn't stuck up. She might just be a little under the weather, a cold or something. She also might be depressed. Dogs are just like people and have mood swings and everything. I am sure she will be fine, no worries.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 2:45 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Eating bones can sometimes lead to constipation because they are not really digestible. As a result, pieces of bone can cause a blockage in the dog’s digestive tract. Are these bones raw?? because raw uncooked bones are best. You can feed her a couple teaspoons of Grape-Nuts Flakes or a tablespoon or two of canned pumpkin every day. A 1/8 cup to a 1/2 cup of milk per day can also be be of benefit in relieving the symptoms because milk helps to lubricate the colon. When we fostered for a hound rescue i followed this.. it works!!! But thats If she is constipated
    itsokmomshere

Answer by itsokmomshere at 3:33 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Just b/c she's pooing doesn't mean there can't be a problem..In bassets its very common to get a "twisted stomach"...if its been going on for more than a couple days she should go to the vet. she could also have a blockage, even tho she is going, some could be getting past. You should have her checked out and don't EVER give her table food. Youre just asking for trouble by doiing that. People think that they are "spoiling' their animals by doing that but really youre harming them. they are not made to break down that kind of food.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:34 PM on Mar. 25, 2009