Newborn having a hard time pooping...

My poor baby is 9 days old now and still having a hard time pushing out her poop on her own. She's breastfed, so the poop is super mushy, so I'm not sure what's causing her to have such a hard time. She will literally be pushing all day long off and on and get nothing out but some gas or little smears of poop. The pediatrician said to use a glycerin suppository so we did and she pooped probably three diapers full within a minute. It's been almost 24 hours again though and she hasn't been able to push anything on her own and she looks so uncomfortable. I don't want to keep using suppositories because I'm afraid her little system might become reliant on them. Has anyone else had this problem with their newborn and did it correct itself with time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You might have to do it a couple of times. My son had the same problem and the ped said his muscles were to tight but eventually they would either loosen or we'd have to take him to a surgeon to get the dials to stretch those muscles. I had to give my newborn 4 suppositories before he started going on his own regularly. Good luck. If she's having a hard time getting it out it might be the muscles and not the poop. If that's the case don't give her karo because it will make the poop harder and hurt her.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 1:34 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Maybe take her temp., when my son was born the doctor told us to try that to help. Or give a tiny bit of dark Karo syrup mixed in water.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:28 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• In babies it's generally considered consitpation depending on the consistency of the poop. If it's not hard or pellet-like then it's not constipation. I would avoid giving suppositories to a baby that age, also.
    Instead it might be that she is gassy and that's the real cause for her strain or discomfort while passing stools.
    You said you are breastfeeding. I would examine your diet and see if there is any correlation between her gassiness and certain foods(dairy, acidic foods, etc.)
    FAQ about constipation via LLLI.

heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 1:34 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• you're not suppose to give them dark Karo syrup. Try putting a little glob of Petroleum jelly on the end of her thermometer and taking her temp. that sometimes gets things moving. I also used to give mine 1 oz of water and she would go 2-3 hours later
    MementoMori

Answer by MementoMori at 1:35 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• The dark karo was a last resort measure given to me by my pediatrition. And, it would be a tiny amount in a large amount of water. No real danger.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:05 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I'd do nothing at this point. Keep nursing on demand. She's learning how to poop on her own. If you keep using the suppositories, it could cause her to become dependent on them.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:05 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Don't give them Karo syrup. Sounds like she is just learning to do it on her own. Also as another poster said, it could be gas, especially if she has mushy poo.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 4:40 PM on Mar. 25, 2009