Does anyone have a child with OCD or/ and Tourette syndrome? If yes, what kind of help did you receive?

Shakleema

Asked by Shakleema at 1:31 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Health

• I have a type of OCD. I used to be really bad but it's getting better. Not sure what your childs is but mine is with even things. Ex: If I touch something with one hand I muct touch it with the other hand with same pressure and texture. I only eat things evenly (12 green beans or 16 pieces of chicken etc and it has to be a number which when divided by 2 is even so that each side of my mouth gets even amounts.) I would feel unbalanced if it wasn't like this. I got better with it and can now contain it to things people won't notice. But I have to make that decision every day every moment something comes up. I chose to try and 'fix' myself so my son doesn't pick up on it. My parents never believed in diagnosing OCD or ADD (Both things the doc told them I had growing up) and it was really hard growing up trying to keep it under control. Find out what triggers your child and try to help minimize the triggers.
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 1:55 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I have OCD but luckily I haven't noticed it in my kids yet. I have been on meds for years that's about the only thing I ever found that helped with mine. Sorry I can't be more help, good luck.
    Anonymous

• My 18 yr old son has Tourette's Syndrome. There is a group on here you can join for more support & information about it. Here's the link:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/TSsupport

lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 2:26 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• My son is 11 and had OCD and ADD. Very frustrating. I just found out today he did not qualify for an IEP! The school year is terrible between his OCD which his twin sister can trigger and the inattention when his med wears off. Some days I just don't know what to do. I just found a new therapist for him. That took two months. The last one did not help at all. He did a lot of listening, but that is about it. His ped follows his meds. We had tried a psch., but that person should not be allowed to see children! I am hopeful that the new clinician will be helpful. He wanted to try a woman. The weird thing is I can talk him out of most of the worries and some of the OCD things, but that's not always a good thing either.
    mom2twins10

Answer by mom2twins10 at 3:00 PM on Jun. 16, 2009