HAVE ANY OF YOU EVER VACATIONED IN THE BEACHES IN CUBA?

JUST WONDERING, I HAVE RUN ACCROSS SO MANY PEOPLE THAT TRAVEL TO THIS ISLAND, THE GO THERE FOR THE WONDERFUL SANDY BEACHES, BUT THEY SEEM TO NOT UNDERSTAND THAT THEIR PEOPLE ARE NOT ALLOWED IN THOSE BEACHES, THEY ARE EXCLUSIVELY FOR TOURIST. THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED TO EAT THE FOOD THEY HAVE FOR THOSE TOURIST EVEN IF THEY WERE ABLE TO PAY FOR IT WITH DOLLARS. THEY LIVE IN POVERTY, REPRESSION, WHILE THE TOURIST COME AND INDULGE THEMSELVES IN OPULENCE.

Asked by older at 1:43 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • I didn't know you could go to Cuba!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 4:30 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• No. I know the beaches in the tourist areas are gorgeous. It would be hard to have fun when I know the citizens are oppressed and not allowed to play on their own beaches. Castro and Cuba are cruel. People have crap health care regardless of what Michael "the cow" Moore says. The care he showed was for tourists and people the Castros have allowed to be wealthy and live the good life. People live on 12 bucks a week they live where the government tells them. They eat the food they are told to. They own only what the government allows them to but it is not really theirs and can be taken away. I cannot have fun when I know so many are suffering and risking their lives everyday to get away from that.
    Anonymous

• ANON, I WAS GLAD TO READ YOUR RESPONSE, BUT UNFORTUNATELY A LOT OF PEOPLE DO JUST THAT, VACATION IN OPULENCE WHEN THEIR PEOPLE ARE IN PAIN IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE.

Answer by older at 1:58 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• That is so sad.
    Anonymous

• Is it safe to go there? No offense but really, is it safe? Does the tourist trade just make the rich richer there? So many oppressed people so sad.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:47 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I WOULD SAY IT IS SAFE AS FAR AS THE GOVT IS CONCERNED. THE TOURIST TRADE ONLY MAKES THE GOVT AND ITS OFFICIALS RICHER, NOTHING OF THAT MONEY EVER GETS TO THE PEOPLE, NOT EVEN THE FOOD THAT IS SERVED. THERE ARE NO RICH PEOPLE IN CUBA ONLY THE GOVT GETS THAT MONEY.

Answer by older at 2:59 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• That's complete BS, I have family there and they are at the beaches every single weekend. Oh and my brother has a computer, WITH internet and emails me pictures all of the time. (i know, strange huh that they are more civilized than you thought) It's complete BS how ignorant many of you people are.... ugh.
    answin

Answer by answin at 10:36 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• TMJ121099, yes you can go to Cuba.. may not be "legally" but you can travel outside of the country and then fly right into Cuba. Many Americans go through Canada to get to Cuba, it is expensive but it's safer then flying to Mexico and then having the chance that the Mexican government bribing you to fork over hundreds of dollars to give you a Cuban passport or they will ground you and not let you fly back home.

salexander, yes it is completely safe. I'd trust my life more in Cuba than I would in.. say... MEXICO, or China, or Russia. And yes... I HAVE been there so I would know more about this than someone who bases all of their opinions on hearsay.
    answin

Answer by answin at 10:43 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• ANSWIN, THERE IS A LOT OF IGNORANCE AS FAR AS CUBA IS CONCERNED YOU ARE RIGHT BUT THE BEACHES LIKE VARADERO, WHICH IS WHERE THE TOURIST INDUSTRY IS, THE NATIVES ARE NOT TO BATHE THERE, AND IF THEY DO THEY MUST HAVE SOME SORT OF CONNECTION ALLOWING THEM TO DO SO, OR BE PART OF THE TOURIST INDUSTRY SOMEHOW, BELEIVE ME, I AM CUBAN BORN AND ALTHOUGH I HAVE LIVED MOST OF MY LIFE HERE, I KEEP UP WITH WHAT IS GOING ON. IF YOUR FAMILY THERE HAS ALL THESE PRIVILEGES, THEY MUST CONNECTED TO THE GOVT SOMEHOW, THIS IS THE ONLY WAY.

Answer by older at 11:14 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• So here we have the entire island of Cuba and only 12 miles of it is designated to tourists... shame on them!

It's also a small island right off the coast of Cuba, just an fyi.. what a shame that cuban people can work there but not swim.. it's all too bad though because there are plenty of other beautiful beaches these tourists are missing out on.

As for my family having connections, you know i hear that all of the time from people who speak for their Cuban/American refugee elders that obviously left Cuba because they hated it. Sorry to burst your bubble, there are no government connections in my family...

We're also vacationing there in June, we don't plan on staying in Varadero, we're paying someone to stay in their house and renting someone elses car from them for two weeks. No the government wont be getting the money, the people are keeping it all because we're giving it to them not as business owners.
    answin

Answer by answin at 11:55 AM on Apr. 8, 2009