Has your child ever hugged a complete stranger? Or something like that?

My dd is 3.5 and has NO FEAR of anything or anybody. Our "bug guy" came to spray our house a few days ago. And my dd went up and gave him the biggest hug.

I have talked to her about strangers and how we dont hug them. ugg.

She doesent seem to get it. Has anyone ever had their child be too friendly?

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 1:46 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• mine wasn't.But my neighbors kids are.Maybe you could get your child to ask permission first.Let him hug who you think is okay.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 1:48 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• My 6 yr old used to do this all of the time! She does it now but not as much. We could be at the mall and she would just walk up to someone in the store and hug them. It really used to upset me because you never know who is out there and they may or may not be pervs!

The baby (she's 14months) will beg complete strangers for food. If she sees someone eating something she will stick her hand out and say "me me" or "mine".

tayanddyl

Answer by tayanddyl at 1:54 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• My DS is only 8 months old but he LOVES every one! Yesterday he cried when the cable guy (whom he had known for about 2 hours...lol) left. I have a feeling he will be the same way.
    It will be hard to explain because we have a HUGE family and he will always be around "strangers that know HIM"
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:55 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• My son is very overly friendly to strangers. He is 2 1/2 and seems to think any old person with glasses and gray hair is a grandparent of his. He will try to talk to them and point, then if I turn away he screams "No, grandpa/grandma". Also, we have a lot of family members in law enforcement, so he has always seen them in uniform and is used to them all. Now, any time he sees a police officer in uniform, he will go up to them and hang on their legs or try to drag them around by their fingers. They think it's cute, and at least it's a cop instead of the bug guy, but I still wish I could teach him to not go up to people without mom or dad.
    hrt_0928

Answer by hrt_0928 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Yes. Mine is WAAAY to friendly. We'll be in the middle of wal-mart and she'll ask talk to any random stranger "Hi I'm Emily, what's your name?". On the one hand, I love that she's a friendly kid. She'll never be short of friends, LOL. But on the other hand, there are SOO many cases of children being kidnapped these days, and it really scares the heck out of me.

One thing that I have considered doing is telling her some of the stories I've read about children that have been kidnapped. It may sound harsh, but maybe if she knows that not ALL strangers are good ones, maybe she'll leave them alone . . .
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• My son does this. It's one of his problem impulsive behaviors and is tied in with his lack of social skills, and his PDD-NOS.

Not saying that's what it is with other kids who do it! lol Just that's why he does it. He's watched VERY closely by the adults in his life and for the most part, we can stop him before he grabs on to someone!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:08 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• My youngest son has Down syndrome and is very much into army stuff. He is 6 years old. A few months ago we were in the grocery store and we saw a couple of guys in the military fatigues. Quick as lightening, he ran to them and hugged one of them. When I reached them the guy was hugging him back. I apologized. He had a tear in his eye when he said no apology necessary ma'am. Then we both had tears in our eyes. Sometimes unfettered affection for a stranger is a good thing.

Momtocccd

Answer by Momtocccd at 2:26 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Well, i was in fact the stranger once. A very young girl, about 2 came in with her daddy to go see a film. I was working at the cinema at the time. Anyway, she handed me the tickets and i tore them and handed them back and smiled and her dad said "what do we say?" and the little girl says "thank you" and then held out her arms for a hug, i quickly looked at the dad and then bent down and gave her a big hug and then she gave me a little kiss on the cheek. She must have been taught by her parents to give hugs and kisses when saying thank you. I was so happy for the rest of the day. She was sooooooo cute.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 3:38 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• OOooo, another one - Jus this christmas gone, my 5 year old brother was walking down the street after my dad and step-mum. Suddenly they heard him say something rather loud, they turned around and saw him hugging a man selling magazines dressed as father christmas(santa) My little brother yelled out "I LOVE YOU SANTA" and the man selling the magazines was in complete shock. He wasn't sure what to do. My step-mum and dad were in fits of laughter.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 3:48 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I have a 2yr. old who is constantly trying to hug other kids. Every time one will walk past her, she gets them around the neck, choking them, sometimes knocking them down, trying to hug them. We just try to cut her off before she can get to them, lol. We tell her that she can't hug people that she doesn't know well, but of course, she doesn't understand. She likes all kids, no matter what age. If they are little like her, they are fair game!
    Mizzjos

Answer by Mizzjos at 10:08 PM on Mar. 25, 2009