Is there any vitamin that can help with ADHD?

I have a son that has been on Stratera for ADHD, but I don't think it's done much good. Most if not all of the other medications are controlled substances and I don't want to put him on them. He does have a bit of a temper and I've heard that these other medicines can enhance that problem. Can anyone help?

angel61055

Asked by angel61055 at 2:09 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I don't know but I'd like to find out. My son is on Vyvanse and I love it, very few side effects and works great. His grades went from D's and F's and he is doing all C's or higher.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:45 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• My son is also on vyvnase and does very well on it. His lowest grade has been a 90% since taking the medicine. But each child responds differently do meds. Talk to your doctor about your concerns
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 11:14 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Strattera wasn't very good for us either, we liked Concerta. I've heard Fish Oil can be beneficial to children with ADHD but we haven't tried it yet.
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 4:20 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• We have used high doses of multi vitamin and have seen a huge improvement. The fish oil may be good for you but did not help. New studies have shown that fish oil really has no effect on adhd.
    What works for some may not work for others. Good luck
    dlb99

Answer by dlb99 at 8:00 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Cold press flax seed oil has been a miracle for us. Also NO food preservatives, NO food dyes and a regular schedule.
    t3dragonflies

Answer by t3dragonflies at 11:02 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• My 7 year old is ADHD and in on a newer medication the name of it is VYVANSE 50 Mg once a day so far she hasn't had any anger problems she is doing a lot better able to focus better the only draw beck is she has to have something to do . As for trying a all natural approach remove all artificial food dies red dies and yellow dies are the worst as will as sugar
    confusedmom2476

Answer by confusedmom2476 at 11:31 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• There has been a lot of evidence that states that ADD & ADHD may be caused by the foods and preservatives we eat. We have used Flax Seed Oil and Fish Oil & Vitamin B to help with the brain function. Food dyes cause hyperactivity and are found in a lot of juices, koolaid candy and snacks. Using whole fresh food has helped our son and has created better results.

http://www.druglessdoctor.com/ Dr. Bob DeMaria has a great book called Dr. Bob's Guide to stop ADHA.

Also some companies like Juice Plus, Usana and Mannatech offer vitamin supliments that help in this arena. We used juice plus for many years an made a difference. We now use fresh fruit and vegetable to accomplish the same. Juice plus also has a program where you buy for you and they will sign up your child fro free for a year! If you want a contact I could refer one for you.

By the way I have no affiliations with any of the above mentioned companies.
    LegacyKimberley

Answer by LegacyKimberley at 4:56 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Omega 3 Fish oil pills. They are huge but they stimulate brain function. My daughter was on strattera for a long time and it didnt do her a darn bit of good, but the omega 3's helped tremendously, she was able think clearer and work through things better. I took her off all meds and have modified her diet and such and it has worked well for us. This was almost 5 years ago...
    asalynsedai

Answer by asalynsedai at 11:10 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• *points up* We also did Juice Plus and I was a distributor for a long time, but am not now, but those worked wonders as well, even for me!!
    asalynsedai

Answer by asalynsedai at 11:11 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I don't know of any because its not a vitamin deficiency; it's a transmission misconnection in the brain. That is why stimulus drugs work. They stimulate the nerve endings into alignment so the connection continues uninterrupted. I have 2 ADD sons and a 3rd with ADD +H. I also taught Exceptional Education for 10 years out of my 17 years in the classroom. My experience has been that we want to make sure that we are not to blame for the difficulties our children have in school. There is some percieved stigma connected to it, so we shy away from drugs like Concerta, Ritilin, Focalin, etc. However, if our child needed glasses to see the board or read the book, we have no problem getting that help even though the poor eyesight may have been inherited from us. It's just weird.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:17 PM on Mar. 29, 2009