1200 Calorie a day diet

Could anyone point me in the right direction? I need websites please:) I have tried to do a search but cannot come up with a menu plan and any explaination as to how to get the best results. I am trying to lose about 60 pounds and was advised to use this amount of calories to get the desired results. Thanks in advance!!

fiveohmom

Asked by fiveohmom at 2:39 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Are you doing a starvation diet? Because 1200 seems very low, unless you on pretty short. Whomever advised you on how many calories to intake would be the one to look to for meal options. If you are simply counting calories and not avoiding certain foods then you can have whatever you just need to watch what you need. You need to weigh and measure everything to make sure you get just the 1200 calories. To get the most bang for your calories you will want to eat lots of raw fruits and veggies. GL!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 2:52 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I like to use sparkpeople.com

Great supportive community.  I lost 30 pounds over the summer last year.

Anonymous

• i eat 1000-1200 cals a day and have lost 15 pounds!!!
    Anonymous

• I've lost 23 lbs over the past 13 weeks. My goal is to lose 60 to 70 lbs. I use www.sparkpeople.com I have been eating 1400 to 1700 calories a day. I burn about 450 calories a day doing cardio and I also do strength training 3 times a week for 20 minutes each time.
    If you restrict your diet to 1200 calories a day, you are more likely to hit a plateau and not lose any weight early on. Your body needs calories to burn calories. 1200 calories a day is likely to put your body into starvation mode - meaning you will hold onto everything you consume and not lose weight because your body will think it is starving. It can also mess with your metabolism. You need to find a plan that you can stick with for life. It's not about dieting - it's about a life style change.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 11:00 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I've been eating between 1100-1300 calories per day for a year. I've lost 70 lbs. (with exercise too of course) and I feel fantastic. Eating only what you need to survive is NOT starvation, in fact it's what we should all be doing. Granted caloric needs are different for different people, but it's in no way starvation. The portions and types of food in this country are just so confused and backwards. I eat lots of food and never go hungry--fruits, veggies, lean meats and fish, whole grains.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 12:39 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Sorry that's *75 lbs.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 12:40 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I answered your pm......hope it helps.
    deborah50

Answer by deborah50 at 7:33 AM on Mar. 26, 2009