My teen likes to listen to christian grunge rock music and when I listen to it, it sounds satanic

how could this noisy crap be christian? My teen says as long as she worships Jesus who care what the tone is?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am a christian and called to the music ministry as is my husband and I know exactly what your feeling and thinking. Ive heard a lot of teaching on music and I am really defensive of music because I think its misunderstood sometimes. First of all, different people have different tastes in music and what you like might not be what she likes...thats obvious. Secondly, all music, the tones, the harmonies and the melodies were created by God. Satan owns nothing and there is NO music that belongs to him. We create music out of whats in our own hearts and the lyrics come from there as well. Usually the person singing (or screaming) the music writes out of their own struggles and own issues. I would listen closely to the lyrics of the songs or read them. See what this group is talking about and if they are praising God, then I would rejoice that she is getting that message. My husband likes harder stuff than I do too and...cont
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:50 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Im going to agree with your daughter...I love modern Christian music. If its not affecting her behavior I wouldn't worry.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:49 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Yeah listen to your child. It doesnt matter what it sounds like to you. Its all about the lyrics. I listen to Christian Hip Hop (a song play on my page) and until you listen to the words you can't tell the difference.
    Be glad he's not listening to satanic music. I mean really, you should be excited about this!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:52 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I actually like some of the harder edgier Christian music. I also agree with your teen.... she could be listening to the satanic grunge stuff. It may not be your taste but if it still has her focusing on Jesus then that is what is important. If you're worried about the lyrics... ask to look at one of her CD covers or look up the lyrics to the songs... alot of the songs are so Christ/Jesus/God centered it can make some of the softer contemporary christian songs almost seem secular (where you have to listen through the whole song to figure if they're talking about Jesus, God, or a relationship they're in).

If the worst thing she's doing is listening to a style of Christian music you don't like... then you're doing good mom.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 2:53 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Oh, and try not to call it noisy crap. If it is Christian music worshiping God, and YOU are a Christian that's really not right. How would you feel if she called your church choir music noisy crap?
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:54 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• So what is Christian music suppose to sound like? People have different taste in music. Isn't it wonderful that there are Christian musicians out there that can appeal to all genres of music so teenagers and young people are willing to listen to Christian music? Have you read or listened to the lyrics? The message is what's important. Who cares the music it's set to?
    Anonymous

• It's the voices of the guys that sing. They are screaming into the mike. Have you listend to "devil wears prada"? Don't worry though I'm just old school and she will have her music in the car and say to me, "mom, now listen carefully" and she will sing with the lyrics and it all is good when I do understand them. I just don't like the screaming.
    Anonymous

• I am in agreement with every single poster on her. There are some very hard, edgy, grungy, rock out your ear drums Christian bands out there. If you're worried about her music, then find out what bands she's listening to and Google their lyrics. You'll see.

POD, Thrice Nail, Living Sacrifice, and Pillar are all bands that may not necessarily SOUND Christian to you, but are. Rather than coming down on her about her music, you should be commending her for choosing bands with a great message and encouraging her obvious path to salvation.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:05 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• By the way, I LOVE "Devil Wears Prada"!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:06 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Haha... you sound a little like the adults I grew up around. Something about the beat being on counts 2/4 in the measure meant that you'd be sexually stimulated. They used this against Amy Grant!! Oy.. Anyway- sit down and read the lyrics. You might be surprised.
    Raintree

Answer by Raintree at 3:07 PM on Mar. 25, 2009