My baby boy likes stealing,Help!

Little Trey is 8 months old. He sits in an upright stroller. When we go to the supermarket, there is always candy,toys,baby food,jars, and more on the lower shelves. Lately, Trey has been taking the things and putting them next to him as if he is hiding them. Then I walk out of the store with stolen goods. I realize it and pay for the stolen items. I know he doesn't know any better, but I should stop this know before he gets older. any advice?

lovinlife4kids

Asked by lovinlife4kids at 2:53 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Im sure it doesn't mean he will be a thief...he doesn't know better at this age. Always check him while checking out and give the stuff back...but he has no clue what he's doing!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:57 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• LOL. My son who is almost three did the same thing for the LONGEST time. It's really a phase. And actually he use to put the items down his shirt. Just politely tell him no. And don't go back and pay for them, but just take them back and tell them that your son took them and you wanted to give them back. They will completely understand. He might feel as if he's being rewarded if you give them to him. Just try not to let him have the things, and just keep with the no until he gets older and can understand you better!!! =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 2:58 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I wouldn't call it stealing.at this age. There are so many new and neat things in the market. He probably picks it up, looks at it and puts it down beside him ready to move on to the next item. He could probably drop it on the floor just as easily as putting it beside him. I don't think he is too young to learn the word no or don't touch.

At around 3 1/2 my DD thought the produce section was there just for her snacking purposes. Before I knew it, she would have something in her mouth. I always told the cashier and offered to pay for it, but they would would just laugh and tell me not to worry about it. Especially when she went through her Brussels sprout phase and I couldn't keep her hands off them.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 25, 2009