Daughter is 4 1/2 wants to potty train and have a pee pee song and hello panties good bye diapers but you mention potty training she freaks out and i want her out of diapers any help would be appreciated

snowangel99217

Asked by snowangel99217 at 3:00 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would just quit buying them. Unless something is wrong with her, then she should already be potty trained. Buy cute panties, and say "wear these or go naked.

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:14 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Okay . . . 4 1/2?? Really?? My first question is this - does she have any developmental problems? I am asking b/c unless your child has a severe learning difference such as autism or retardation, 4 1/2 is really a little old and you may have a lot more issues now because of it.

If this is the case, you might try starting as though she were 2 or 3. Don't say the word "potty training". Let her pick out a few packages of panties. Have her sit on the potty every 20 minutes or so for about the first week - read her stories and sing songs with her for a full five minutes while she's on there. Get a chart. Put one sticker for pee-pee and two for poo-poo. When she fills the chart, let her have a treat (a small toy, ice cream, etc.). The second week, let her go one day all on her own. Every time she has an accident go back to the "20 minute" game until the next day. Good luck momma!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:18 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• On my son's 4th bday I explained he was too old for diapers and it's something for baby's to have not kids who almost ready for school. And never bought them again. There was no way I was putting diapers on him after 4 yrs old. I do use pullups at night and take them off right away in the morning.
    Also kids grow attached to their diapers and don't want to let go. Be the adult and insist you are not going to buy diapers anymore.
    Anonymous

• I am not going to tell you that she is way to old to not be potty trained. My daughter was 2 1|2 and I wrote a post about wanting to get her off the bottle. The other moms tore me apart. (She is 4 1\2 now and is off the bottle) Does she want to go to school. Tell her she cant go if she doesnt pee in the potty. Also have you talked to your doctor. My daughter started peeing in her pants and getting kidney infections and we found out she has reflux of the bladder. I would look into. It sounds like she is bullheaded! Have fun when she is a teenager haha Good luck!!

jessicalaree

Answer by jessicalaree at 6:42 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Buy videos, panties, books, just make it fun
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 8:09 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Get rid of the diapers and put underwear on her. put her on the pot every 30 mins and 10mins after every drink. I know this sounds really cruel but this worked for both of my kids. My mother did this to my son just once and I thought it was the meanest thing but it worked and I did it to my daughter and it worked for her as well. When they kept soiling the underpants and not telling me I finally made them clean it themself. with all the crying and gagging that went with it they told me the next time. it took my son one time and my daughter about 3 times.
    SunlitCbreeze1

Answer by SunlitCbreeze1 at 9:54 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• she 4 1/2!!! wow! *i'm speachless* sorry.
    Anonymous