is it possible that a 11 1/2 month old isnt ready for solids?

My dd has stuggled with solids she wants what we eat so I mush it and overcook it and she takes bite after bite, just to spit it out. its seems she is just playing or exploring it but wont actually eat it to count as a meal.. Ive tried every kind of baby food in ever texture and she does the same she will swallow some of it but very little.(she hates the spoon) I had my son weanned from the bottle and on milk at this age, so Im a little stuck on what to do with a baby that only really wants meals in a bottle...
she wont drink from a sippy.. Ive tried limmiting her formula thinking that she will be more hungry for solids but not she still wont eat any more but then is starving because of the lack of calories.. Im stuck.. Do I change her to milk at a year even though she isnt eating solids well yet... sorry its so long any suggestion or reassureance that this is normal would be great

malissamom

Asked by malissamom at 3:04 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She's just use to the bottle, you have to break her from it.
    Anonymous

• It sometimes takes persistence. Try giving her solids the same time of day everyday. If today she only gets one bite down, try for 2 tomorrow, and 3 the next day. You lo needs to learn to eat solids eventually, she can't have formula forever. good luck!!
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 3:21 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• My youngest son had issues with texture. He did eat baby food, but it was very limited. He would gag on 3rd stage carrots. When he got a little older (self feeding), he tended to over-stuff his mouth - to the point of gagging and sometimes choking or throwing up because of it. He's almost 11 now, and he has to have his bacon crispy (so it will break apart as he bites it), otherwise, he will shove the whole piece in his mouth and likely gag on it.

Have you checked with your child's doctor?
    dodgeboyzmom

Answer by dodgeboyzmom at 3:31 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Check with the doctor if you think there is a problem.

Stop mushing her food. She can see that her food doesn't look like your food. Cut it up and see what happens.

Until she is getting nutrition from food, I don't (personally) recommend taking away the nutrition of her formula and going to milk.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:37 PM on Mar. 25, 2009