How can I get my almost 4 year old completely potty trained?

I have 2 kids in diapers. My son will be 4 in May and still in diapers. Im tired of my mom getting on my case about him getting potty trained. He seems to like be wiped. I would like to spend the money on something else they need besides on diapers. they cost an arm and a leg...

the3kidg

Asked by the3kidg at 3:06 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'm all about bribery. I tried everything by the time my son was 4. Nothing worked. He was obsessed with Transformers. Every time he peed in the potty he got a $5 or $6 Transformer. Once he got that down, we bought a $10 or $15 Transformer and once he went #2 he got to open it. Sounds expensive but within a month he was potty trained! You can buy the Kan-Do wipes or Huggies clean team wipes. They are for big kids, feel like wipes and are easy to use. Good luck!
    caligirl74

Answer by caligirl74 at 4:08 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• He is old enough to understand that we have to choose what to spend money on. Try putting the needed diaper money in a jar. When you go to the store, stop and look at the toys while holding that jar. Sigh and say "Wouldn't it be nice if we could spend this money on a toy for you instead of more diapers. Oh well." Then turn around, walk away, and get the diapers. Have him hand the jar of money over to the clerk. My daugher is only 2.5 but it's making an impression on her. WIll it do the final trick for mine? I don't know yet but I have hope!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:56 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Well my boys are potty trained and i still use wipes :) the swipers or just a regular baby wipe
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 8:07 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Does he tell you at all when he needs to go to the potty? I would suggest that you take him on a timed toileting schedule. Every 40-60 minutes tell him it is time to go to the potty. Take him and have him try to go. Praise him if he trys and give him a sticker on a chart. When he gets a certain number of stickers on his chart, then he gets the big prize! If he begins to be successful move on to underwear quickly, skip pull-ups completely!!!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 11:43 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• wow... 4 and still in diapers... this baffles me.
    Anonymous

• At 4 I say he is old enough to clean himself. If he has to do it you might be surprised how quickly he stops.
    maddiemygirl

Answer by maddiemygirl at 11:19 PM on Mar. 26, 2009