How do you deal with an adha child with fits?

MY son is Adhd and he has fits. they are so bad. what do i do? what kind of food can i fix that isnt full of sugar to set both my boys to hiperness, jumping off my dresser

the3kidg

Asked by the3kidg at 3:09 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Go back to basics: meat, veggies & fruit

Also get them tested for food sensitivities. Ask for RAST test for IgE & IgG specific to foods.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:24 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I know most moms won't agree with what I'm about to say... but hear me out. My son is ADHD also, we had issues with jumping off of dressers and whatnot - but the real problem was school and getting him to sit still long enough to learn something... so he's on meds. We tried a lot of different ones before we found that Adderall works best for him. Medicine was made to help people. If you have a headache, you take tylenol... right?
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 1:27 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• We thought our son had adhd too, he displayed every sign. We read the Kazdin Method for Positive Parenting (I'm pretty sure that's what is was called;) ) and it helped a lot. I mean it saved me from certain insanity.

They really focus on the positives that kids do, the idea is that you are rewarding the good and not the negative with attention. Obviously there are certain lines that cannot be crossed, but those are boundaries they have to learn in time.

One really big thing that has helped so much all in itself, I don't give tomeouts, I tell them they need to go to their rooms until they are ready to act responsibly. The majority of the time they go for a while and come out better adjusted, on occassion I can tell by the demeanor they need more time and have never gotten an arguement back. I think they learn to self adjust to their problems.
    Iheartmamahood

Answer by Iheartmamahood at 3:50 PM on Mar. 31, 2009

• I was told by a team of specialist at an evaluation that they sometimes use a little caffeine with hyperactive children. It apparently speeds up their control system in the brain to match the rest of them. I tried it on my daughter, I gave her an ounce or so of coffee and the same of milk and a bit of sugar and let her sip it through out the morning. I was very skeptical, but she listened a lot better, communicated more clearly and calmed down a lot faster. some days are better than other but it's still an improvement.
    I also picked a calm down spot for her and taught her to sit there until she is calm. now ask her if she needs to go calm down and she usually goes, if not and she really needs to I tell her to go. I try to make sure she gets a lot of time outside when ever possible.
    litlsuzzy

Answer by litlsuzzy at 12:38 PM on Apr. 20, 2009