How does everyone feel about circumcision?

I can't decide if I should have my son circumcized when he is born. Part of me thinks it's a good idea..part of me thinks it's horrible to put a baby through! Any thoughts?

Asked by jessicarae787 at 10:56 AM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think its cruel and I feel so sorry for having done it to my son. I did it to prevent medical problems that my father and uncles have had and had to be circumcised as adults. This is my first son and he's less than a week old. Although he's hurting on the outside, I'm hurting on the inside.

Answer by bbsheep at 2:27 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• well i got my son cir. because when there older the extra skin can close over the pee hole and stop them from peeing

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• To each their own. That's how I feel. Do whatever you and your husband decide is best for your child.

Answer by MamaCarterof5 at 11:03 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I got both of my boys circumcised because some gross stuff can grow under the foreskin if you don't keep it really clean.Yes the procedure is barbaric but it only lasts a minute and trust me, they don't remember it!!

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:08 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• We decided not to circumsize our son, even though my husband is. The reason they did it back then was because it was thought to be cleaner and better for the baby. Not so anymore, peaople take more baths and know how to take care of them now. Just a matter of preference really. But I agree, this is something that has to be decided by both you and your husband. Sometimes it can be confusing teaching a boy to potty trained while learning from a dad who does not look the same.

Answer by BahamaMama516 at 11:27 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• We circumsized both of our sons. My husband wanted it done and I agreed. My brother got a terrible infection and needed to be circumsized when he was 4. That really hurt him. So I was afraid of that happening to my sons so I agreed to it. I don't regret it.

Answer by Lainee21106 at 11:41 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Both of my sons are intact and it is the BEST decision I made. NO, the foreskin will not "close up over the pee hole" And infections usually occur with improper care, like foricibly retracting the foreskin.YOU NEVER EVER EVER EVER force back the foreskin. Circumcision is surgery, and healthy baby boys have DIED from it. I wasn't going to risk my sons' health.

Answer by Aslen at 11:49 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I think that circumsicion is a pointless and paniful procedure that causes emotional physological problems.Personally I think IF ITS NOT YOUR PENIS ITS NOT YOUR CHOICE!

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• The condition where the foreskin closes over the urethra is called phimosis and is very rare.  As far as keeping it clean the penis has a sort of self cleaning system like our vagina's do.  When they are young the foreskin is fused to the meatus (head of the penis) and should never be pulled back for any kind of cleaning, just wiped like a finger.  The only person that will pull back his penis is the boy when he's ready.  As far as infections (again rare as long as the proper care is taken, meaning no retraction) antibiotics can clear up any infection that may occur (same as a girl) and circumcision should be the last suggestion.  I would definitely do the research.  Here is something to get you started: NOCIRC Your can check out my profile for more links and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Answer by roxy1stmommy at 11:58 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• With weeks and weeks of going back and forth and really struggling with which way to go, we chose to not and I am so happy that we made that choice. What ever you do, don't choose until you have researched it fully (as best as possible) and feel 100% satisfied with your choice. Don't let anyone push you one way or the other.

Answer by Gracemommy at 12:09 PM on Jun. 20, 2008