• In the Spotlight:

22 month old sick with cough and fever; refuses to eat. Need some ideas and fast!

She has not had anything to eat in three days now. Only pedyalite and milk. We are going to the doctor tomorrow, but I would like for her to eat at least something today. What can I offer her that will be okay on her tummy and nutrious?
Thanks!

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 3:34 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Food isn't anywhere near as important as hydration. A child no matter how young will not starve themselves. Just keep her hydrated and comfortable. She will come out of it before you know it. Good Luck sweetie.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 3:41 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Ohhhhh mom, No milk. With a fever it can sour in the stomach. Pedyalite only with fever. Offer her some plain crackers or cereal. Other than that she is fine. I dont eat if I am sick. It can make you feel worse. AS long as she is drinking plenty and you are offering her crackers than thats all you need to do. Fluids are important with a fever, but food is shouldnt be your main concern, I know as her mom you want to see her eat, but its not necessary when they are sick.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:37 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Don't worry about the milk. The old wives tale of it souring in the tummy when there is a fever is just that, an old wives tale. If she wants milk, let her drink it. If she will drink formula, you might try a little bit of the toddler formula (this is the only time it's really useful). You could also try pediasure but it is so thick that many sick kids refuse it.

And don't worry about the lack of food. That's what body fat is for. Her body will use that fuel to keep going and can do that for a LONG time. Fluids is the critical thing. She can not go a day without fluids.

If you really want her to eat something, try saltine crackers or dry toast (no butter, no jam). But if she doesn't want it, don't worry.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:09 PM on Mar. 25, 2009