My 15 month old throws temper tantrums bad. HELP!

Ok, so when she starts getting into thing I'll calmly tell her no and she'll get mad and throw it and when i tell her no in a more firm voice she starts screaming and she'll throw herself backwards and stiffen her body and if i try to pick her up she acts worse. I dont know what to do. I'll ignore her and she gets even more mad. She screams and crys so hard that she starts choking and can hardly breathe at times. Someone help.

hisfuturewifey

Asked by hisfuturewifey at 3:44 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If she's doing something really dangerous or about to break something expensive or offend a stranger, I'd physically remove her and let her cry. But if not, try to not to use the word "no" too much. it starts to lose its effect. Instead, try to redirect her behavior using a positive statement: "We sit on chair, don't we. We stand on the floor. Please sit on your chair" (rather than "No, don't stand"). Kids that age are asserting their independence, but unlike the full-out rebellion of the terrible twos, they actually want to please you. They just need your guidance. Tell them how to make you happy. And at that age they're fairly easy to distract. So pick your battles, and sometimes it's worth just offering to read them a story or give them a drink of water rather than telling them not to get into your pile of magazines for the zillionth time that day.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:51 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Well i guess I don't know what she's like but I have a 2 year old and whenever she starts screaming and throwing a fit, I tell her that I'll call Santa or the Easter Bunny and usually she stops (I know that sounds dumb, but hey it works!) If that doesn't work I put her in a timeout.
    proud-mommy83

Answer by proud-mommy83 at 3:55 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Also, whatever you do, don't spank them, it only makes it worse and doesn't help. I could never hit my little girl.
    proud-mommy83

Answer by proud-mommy83 at 3:57 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• See ive tried that one too. Like yesterday she had the remote to the tv and I said "Can mommy have that please" and she held on to it tightly and shook her head no. So i asked two more times and she wouldnt give it to me so i just took it. She got mad and grabbed her cup and hit me in the face with it.
    hisfuturewifey

Answer by hisfuturewifey at 3:57 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I'm not saying it works every time, but sometimes you have to get creative. Like if she's playing with the remote, ask her if she can help you put it away where it goes and then go play hide-and-seek. Or whatever activity makes their eyes light up. You can lift her up so she can put the remote on the mantel or something like that. At that age my daughter despised it when I did anything in the kitchen... dishes, cooking, etc. She'd totally act out until I stopped or lost my cool. Finally I realized if I could get her doing things -- moving the refrigerator magnets from the fridge to the dishwasher... "helping" me cook by pouring a cup of water in a pot, etc., she did much better than if I just told her "no" for everything.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:11 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I learned this the hard way but don't ask unless there truly is a choice- you asked for the remote instead say "Please give mommy the remote" , my bad one was "are you ready to go?" when it was time to leave someplace. Choose your battles and as the first poster said try to redirect and tell her what to do rather than what not to do.
    Try really hard to ignore, assuming her bedroom is childproof, just put her in there and shut the door, you may have to stand outside and hold the door shut, but she wont be able to hit you from in there and any mess she makes she has to help pick up when she has calmed down and any toys she breaks do not get replaced.
    And above all else remember to breathe and that this is a stage she will out grow! Please don't throw anything at me LOL I know from experience "it's just a stage" gets frustrating to hear but it is just a standard support saying!LOL
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 4:17 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I just want to say thanks to everyone. You all helped me out alot. Hopefully i can get her to stop. Thanks again.
    hisfuturewifey

Answer by hisfuturewifey at 4:22 PM on Mar. 25, 2009