How to discipline a wound-up, aggressive 2 yr old boy?

My 2 yr old son is getting more aggressive by the day. He goes to daycare 2 days a week and is home with me the rest of the time. The daycare reported to me that last week he was pulling one boy's hair constantly (just one kid, nobody else).

At home, he is hitting and pushing often, whenever I open the refrigerator he runs over and starts taking things out of it, he knocks down the kitchen garbage can, he pulls down the vertical blinds, he jumps into the bathtub (when its full of water)with all his clothes or pajamas on, he pulls my husband's cd's off the shelf, he deliberately will dump everything off his plate at the table. When we give him very firm NOs, he laughs. He can climb out of the pack n play now; I'm sure it's just a matter of time before he will be able to climb out of his crib.

Is this just the terrible two's? His older sister was never like this, although she is autistic and has issues of her own

JustAMom2008

Asked by JustAMom2008 at 4:01 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Really pay attention and ask the daycare to pay attention and find out if there is any triggers to your sons behavior. Remember tht at 2 years kids arent likely to learn "logically". They learn emotionally. The old recognize and reward the good behavior thing. As far as him pulling hair at daycare.....thats a pretty common cause and effect action of a two year old. Why were the workers not redirecting your son? Most of the time when toddlers act out its because they dont understand there emotions. There need for instant gratification. Not vocalizing well yet. Be calm and firm, discourage aggressive play, limit exposure to violence even in cartoons, learn triggers. But also be prepared to let him have energy releases. When knocks down the garbage can calmly bring him back and have him pick it back up and tell him, that is no acceptable. YOu must remain calm lol this is the hard part. He senses your anxiety.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 4:19 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• When he does theses things... what are the consiquences... what are you doing to discipline the behavior?
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 4:48 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• If he is dumping his food. Take it. Don't give it back. Eventually he will stop doing it. When he hits hit him back just as hard. Ask him if he likes it. Use timeouts/the corner. Spank him if you have to. My son is about to be three and he did this A LOT within the past few months and it was because of change. He was VERY attached to my grandmother and she got very sick, so he couldn't be with her all the time anymore(she lives with me). He started lashing out BAD. Eventually a prize sticker chart worked. Some things worked sometimes others worked other times. Just try different things and see what reactions you get. It will take time so stay as consistant as possible. If one thing isn't working after a day or two, change it. Try not to yell or get mad at all. The change in your behavior will make him think a little bit too. =] good luck
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 7:28 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I agree with mommykayti very much so!!!
    Charweba

Answer by Charweba at 8:31 PM on Mar. 25, 2009