Wedding arrangments

Just got engaged and do not where to start for the wedding arrangements. Can you please share your experiences? Did you hire a wedding planner? Any referrals? What was your budget?

BVG

Asked by BVG at 4:29 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Entertainment

• My son recently got engaged. The first thing they did was find a place for the reception, as they tend to book up a year in advance sometimes. While there, they found they could have their ceremony there, and they have a staff member who will arrange/ help coordinate everything with them.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 4:37 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Go to theknot.com it is a wonderful resource for all things wedding. Including month by month guides, budgets services, vows etc..everything.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:41 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• My mom helped with things. We kept it very simple and small.
    We didnt do a huge anything so the cost was under $400.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 8:21 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• The first thing to book is a location for the ceremony and reception. Sometimes the popular spots get booked 6-12 months in advance. Once you secure a place, then you'll feel like the wedding will actually happen.

Next was gown shopping, but that takes awhile. You'll need flowers too. And tuxedos for the gentlemen. And think of an agenda . Closer to the wedding day, you need to write a schedule of what each person is doing. That's the last thing to work on. Anyone who's involved will want to know what time and where they're needed. Work on a little bit of each item at a time. Don't hold off everything trying to do one thing. If you did, nothing will ever get done.

It seems overwhelming but if you work on a bit at a time, you'll be fine.

You don't really need a wedding planner unless you can afford it. I couldn't, so I didn't. My budget was like $5000. We had friends help us.

Congrats and goodluck
    starandseen

Answer by starandseen at 8:41 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• We eloped. But before we came to that decision we had the entire wedding planned in a first draft. We realized what we wanted was a nice down payment on a house. So we skipped the wedding, eloped, and used the money my parents would have spent for exactly that, a down payment on a house. We didn't have a budget.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 1:21 PM on Mar. 26, 2009