My 13 month old has developed quite a temper and has become harder to put to sleep, any advice on this?

He gets so mad when he doesn't get what he wants now, he clenches his fists and shakes and screams and arches his back. I know its harder on me than it is on him, but its a new stage I wasn't ready for. This has also seemed to start a new trend of not wanting to go to sleep at night. I had been nursing him to sleep and if that doesn't work I hold him and pace in the dark bedroom until I think he will go down. We are still co-sleeping and my husband is usually away on military duty. I am getting very tired and hoping there is a way to calm him and maybe even finally transition him to the crib and wean him at least from night feedings without the 'cry it out' method. I am becoming so exhausted and I know my own tolerance level is dwindling fast. I feel so guilty when I get frustrated with him, please help!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:41 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is also 13 months old also has started fits. At first I just ignored them and it didn't help. It's usually when he doesn't want to come get his diaper change or come inside ect. I grab his hand to walk him to where we are going and he starts. We do believe in spanking, if you can call it that. Nothing harsh just little taps on the diaper basically, my struggle was was he old enough to understand what they meant so it took me weeks to try. Now when he throws himself down i help him up and say stand up lets go and if he continues i pop his diaper and tell him again it's time to do whatever it is. He has caught on very quickly and is doing it less and less for shorter times.
    MoMmY2APrince85

Answer by MoMmY2APrince85 at 5:16 PM on Mar. 25, 2009