how can i produce more breast milk for my baby at home

sunshine1469

Asked by sunshine1469 at 4:54 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Take Blessed Thistle
    and fenugreek
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 4:55 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Oatmeal helped me. And nursing/pumping more frequently (even if you're not getting much when you do) - it's all about supply and demand!
    .
    mem33

Answer by mem33 at 5:08 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I was advised to pump right after breast feeding, get your rest as often as you can, drink lots of water too. Hope this helps!
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 5:09 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Oh and feeding more often too.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 5:10 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• There are a lot of things that you can do to increase your milk supply. The first step is to consult with a certified lactation consultant. She can advise you on herbs and perhaps correct your nursing technique if that is contributing to a lower milk supply. Fenugreek helps a lot of people. You really need to stay hydrated. It often helps to drink a big glass of water right before nursing. You can use a breast pump to increase your supply, too. I was advised to pump in the morning, about an hour after my first feeding of the day, because that is when your supply is at it's greatest, so it is a good time to increase the demand on your body to produce more. Other advice that I have heard is to pump immediately after a feeding. I drank Mother's Milk tea, which I found really helped me. My midwife suggested that I drink it in the late afternoon, when I was tired and my supply would likely need a boost. Good luck!
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 5:18 PM on Mar. 25, 2009