Do you have anything against people on food stamps?

I just got food stamps last week because I am going to be going to college and need the extra help. My boyfriends brother gets all pissy about it because he says "your welcome for the food" and it makes me so mad!!! I am going to college so I never have to get on food stamps again and havent been on them for years before this. I get mad when people use the system so they can get a free ride but I really need the help. What are your thoughts?

worriedmommy600

Asked by worriedmommy600 at 5:03 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Relationships

• Not if you really need it. Hey if you are going to college more power to you!! Your situation is what it is set up for. Good luck with school.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 5:07 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• If you've worked you've paid for them too...that's the way I see it! The help is there for those that need it. Both my husband and I have worked for years before ever needing assistance and we are entitled to get the help if needed.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:07 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I think that it is there to help people that need it. In your case, you are going to college to better yourself and get a career so you (hopefully) never need the help again. I see nothing wrong with it. Even with financial aid, college is still rough, and if it were not for my SO, I would be on food stamps too until I could get through college.

People like you aren't the problem. People that abuse the system are (stay continuously on government help for the better part of their life because they have no will power to do for themselves)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 5:08 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I think you are bettering yourself so no problem. It is supposed to help people get on their feet, not a life long thing. Lots of people abuse the system which is why people get pissy about it (me included) but if you are using it short term to help your family then that is exactly what it is for. Its when people feel intitled and act like everyone owes them and use it as a lifestyle...that's a problem. good luck in school!!! Ignore idiots their are alot in this world!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:09 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I agree and actually am in the same situation. I see it as a tool that helps get me from point a to point b--I too cant stand when people "milk" the system. I would love to see more direct financial aid for those with families to continue higher education instead of having to rely upon things like food stamps.
    mrspriss0506

Answer by mrspriss0506 at 5:13 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Only if you truly need the help. If you can make it without them then there is a problem and you shouldnt get them. If youre on them because you otherwise wouldnt eat then I see no issue as long as you figure out a way to feed yourself in the near future. It shouldnt be a crutch.
    Anonymous

• i dont see anything wrong with it unless your a single mom living off the foodstamps childsupport and welfare and dont have a job.
    Anonymous

• Girl, tell your boyfriend's brother to kiss your "behind". Kudos for going to college!!!!
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 5:19 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• tell his brother to go screw himself...everyone needs help! Good luck with school sweetie!
    breebers

Answer by breebers at 5:22 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• As long as someone is not abusing the system I do not care, but in my old line of work I have seen three families that actually needed the help, the others well they were just lazy.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 5:31 PM on Mar. 25, 2009