At what temperature do you head to the ER? I am 1 hour from nearest ER.

My 22 month old is running 102 and that is with motrin. I've done the lukewarm bath but it is remaining the same. When do I need to panic?

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 5:15 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh, also, he told me that I could rotate Tylenol and Motrin every 4 hours, and to push liquids. Any liquids, juice, water, milk, or pedialyte.

It took 2 hours of my daughter being naked (only in a diaper) plus the medication, and wiping her down with cold cloths to get her fever down to 99.1

I went to the pediatrician 2 days later, and they told me that "fever is your friend" since it helps them build antibodies and things like that.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 5:22 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• i dont know if this works but i was always told to do this by my family. take a cotton ball and soak it in rubbing alcohol and put it in your babys belly button. i have always been told it will "pull the fever out as the alcohol absorbs". i hope this works. otherwise, i would go to the e.r
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 5:17 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• My daughter had a fever of 102.4, and I have the convenience of working at a hospital, so I called the ER doctor (they usually won't give medical advice over the phone) and asked him about it. He said that he wouldn't treat anything under 103, and that 104-105 is when it is time to bring them in and get treated (this was for my 10 month old)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 5:19 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Call your doctor immediately and find out if they think you should go. If they are closed for the day, they will have someone on-call. How is she/he acting? Lethargic? Has he/she eaten or drank anything today? Any abnormal behavior?
    have2travel

Answer by have2travel at 5:20 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• It's uaually 104, but if you are an hour away I would play it safe and go now. Try a luke warm bath and popcicles, also alternate motrin and tylenol every two hrs when a fever just wont break.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:31 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I personally don't believe that the ER is EVER the place to go unless you have an absolute, immediate emergency. A fever of in a baby is most likely not an emergency. The first thing to do is always call your doctor. My doctor says that you always call when the fever is over 100.4 in an infant, but to wait a few days in an older child. She doesn't need to see her unless it has been going on for 4 nights. In the meantime, she gives me instructions on what symptoms to look for that would signify I should bring her in earlier. She also gives me dosing instructions for Tylenol and Motrin (we rotate them, too). Each doctor will have her own threshold of what number they want to see them at and how many days. It is really important to make contact with the primary health provider for your child in order to get personalized, continuous care. (Most health care books say to NOT use rubbing alcohol to treat a fever.)
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 5:33 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Not unless is has a major spike or is above 103, would I take my child to the ER. I hate that place, and it's not much of an emergency, just a fever that is.

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 5:49 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• 104 that doesn't come down with Tylenol
    Anonymous

• an emergency room is a bad place to bring a child with a fever. if they were not sick (flu,stomach virus,rotavirus,etc) they will definetly will be when they leave. its not how high the fever is but what else the child is doing like vomiting and diarrhea, or just lying there not wanting to do anything that usually will mean you need to get them checked out. i don't mean a fever with vomiting for one day either. if your peds doc is open then please make an appointment and see them. what at the doctor will cost 75.00 dollars,will in the er triple the cost. most of the time it is a virus or an ear infection that any doc can handle. if your peds doc believes that your child is dehydrated or might have pneumonia or is wheezing then they can go from there either give you instructions or send you to the er for rehydration and possible admission. if it is in the middle of the night every doc has someone on call. call that perso
    Anonymous

• Give the motrin and then 2 hours later, give tylenol, then motrin. Keep them overlapped so that there is something in the baby at all times. This is not only what our ped told us to do, its also the recent advice after my daughters wisdom teeth surgery, except it was vicodin/motrin/vicodin/motrin...LOL.....The bath is good too. If after about 6 hours, you see NO difference, then I might give the dr on call a ring. Surely your ped office has an after hours line. Sorry your baby is sick! Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:52 PM on Mar. 25, 2009