Going on a long trip with a 14 month old

We are starting about 2am, so she will be sleeping then, but we will be in the car untill about 3pm. How do i keep her entertianed? I know i need to take breaks and let her wonder and stretch, but i know shes going to get tired of being strapped in her carseat. So how to i keep her content while we are all tired of being in the car!!

Any other travel advice would help. Ive taken many trips with her, but none while im 7 months preggo!! :D
Were going to see my great grandpa, who is dieing from cancer, and were going with my dad. So were all trying not to complain at all, because this will be the last time we see him.

Please help!!

mommyofAurora

Asked by mommyofAurora at 5:30 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Travel

• Go buy some cheap little new toys and when she gets bored give her one. Also I found that glow sticks work wonders, my little ones love them and play with them for hours in the car. If you have a portable dvd player then it may work, my little ones really didn't care about it though at that age. Are you going to sit in the back with her? I would if you can being that you are 7 months pregnant you wont be able to turn around in your seat well. Remember you need to take breaks too. Also, you might try a cookie sheet with magnets on them, and some big crayons and blank paper. Oh the dollar stores have great stuff and anything that blinks is a pleaser. Um I will try to think of more, I have done many long trips with little ones. Make sure you have her favorite loveys and toys and paci if she uses one. And drinks and snacks. Good luck and I am so sorry for the reason of your trip.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 11:30 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Oh if she gets tired of you, which can happen, switch seats with someone else and let them entertain her for a little while.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 11:31 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I took a long trip for Az to OK. with my daughter, one thing chidlren surprise us, they do better than we think. At that time I had nothing, for her she looked out the window, played with toys I brought and that was about it. But if you feel you need more get a lab tray and get crayons if she likes to draw, toys that make noise, lots of musical CD, also she loved when I would roll the window down, the wind in her face and looking out she really liked.
    Blesstravelmom

Answer by Blesstravelmom at 6:42 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• We drove to Florida several times with boys when they were younger. Is starting around 9 pm a possibility? We left right when it was time for them to go to bed and they slept almost the whole ride. When they woke we were ready to stop and eat. We would let them stretch and walk around. Then they were fine the remaining time. We would get there before we could check in so sometimes we would check and the hotel would let us go swim until our room was ready or we would find a kid friendly place to hang out till we could check in.

Lap boards like the PP suggested are good. Just anything to keep them occupied.
    partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 11:04 AM on Mar. 29, 2009