How Can My Daughter Overcome the Fear of Feathers?

My daughter has a fear of feathers. While she knows that feathers can not hurt , she actually feels sick at the sight of feathers. She could not dress her daughter in her ballet dress because of the feathers on it. How can she overcome this fear?

1teacher

Asked by 1teacher at 5:32 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Health

• I read a parenting magazine on how to help kids cope with fears (this months issue, I believe, check it out!). It gave an instance of a fear of dogs... first, have the girl watch her mom or siblings touch feathers from a distance. Next, have her be in the same room as feathers. Try to find out what exactly it is that makes her afraid (it breaking? allergies? flying up in her face?). Finally, with some help and lots of time, she may eventually be able to touch a feather.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 5:37 PM on Mar. 25, 2009