Does being slightly overweight have anything to do with multiples?

I have read that women that are overweight are more likely to conceive multiples. I am about 30 lbs overweight and would like to know more about the reality of it.

I don't feel the need to run to the gym and work myself into a frenzy to be thinner than what I am to please society's opinion of how women should look. I love that I have curves. I love being a mama and the little "extras" that came with my son are part of me. I dig that.

I thought it would be cute to have twins as our last pregnancy but now that I'm reading for women that are older (uh, yeah me...will be 34 this year) and are overweight (that's me too...I prefer fluffy) are more likely to conceive twins or multiples.

Is there anything to this theory or is a myth? Twins don't run in my family but then again I was told that kids weren't an option for me and my "option" will be 8 this summer.

Ladies? I am all ears.

lilbit022009

Asked by lilbit022009 at 5:34 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• i'm not just slightly over weight....i'm extra, extra fluffy!!!!....lol....i've been pregnant 4 times(counting now).....had two live births and one m/c.....all were singles.....so far this one is too and twins do run in my family!......in fact....my generation is due for a set.....so far no one has had them.....the older you get....the more your chances increase!!!!.....i'm 39 so i'm sweating this one out!.....lol
    bigblueeyes

Answer by bigblueeyes at 7:15 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I was 21 and about 30 pounds overweight and had twins.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 7:11 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• It is true, but at 34 and only 30 pounds overweight your odds probably aren't that much increased.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:29 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Lol....I think it might have more to do with genetics. Several people in my family were actually quite thin and had twins.
    armanaqueen630

Answer by armanaqueen630 at 1:32 PM on Mar. 26, 2009