My daughter, 9 weeks old, likes to stand up... is it appropriate to put her in a walker? Read on...

She carries all of her own weight and goes from a sitting to a standing position with balance assistance only.

I have put her in a walker with a box placed under the walker for her to stand on (she is not tall enough to reach the floor) She enjoys the walker but is it appropriate for a 9 weeker to be doing so much standing?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 5:38 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't think so. I think that their neck and spine isn't ready to bear the brunt of their weight at that age. Don't get me wrong, my daughter loved to stand at that age too. In fact, there were times she would get mad if she wasn't standing...however, regardless of how strong they LOOK, they really aren't ready yet.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 5:39 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• i put my son in one when he was that young...i'm not sure there is anything wrong with it...they like being in the upright position is suppose...
    busymamma503

Answer by busymamma503 at 5:41 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Some is ok, but I wouldn't recommend doing it a lot.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 5:41 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• She should not be in a walker this young, at all. Walkers are not good for development in the first place, let alone for a 9 week old. MY daughter loved to stand, and try and bounce at this age but it was still another month and a half before we let her even get in her jumperoo.. which she loved. Their necks and spines need more development.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 5:41 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I wouldn't put a baby in a walker when their that young. Wait until she is able to sit with support. I started around 4 months with my daughter.
    Anonymous

• My son also liked to push up on his legs but we never put him in a walker. Most babies that age still curve their spine when in a seated position because they do not have the muscles to support their weight yet.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 6:45 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• My son was just like that. We got him Fisher Price's rain forest jumperoo when he was about 3 months old and he still loves it (he's almost 10 months now).
    ShadowRaven

Answer by ShadowRaven at 7:12 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• my dd pedi said it helped her muscles when she would stand like that(shes done that since about 2 weeks) but personally i dont like walkers at all, i would just let her stand on my lap then at 3 months got her a jumperoo and put a small box under it(she was too short too)
    doosti

Answer by doosti at 7:13 PM on Mar. 25, 2009