Does it frustrate you to see others spreading misinformation?

I have seen it so many times where advice given is completely wrong. It is frustrating to think that the one who asked the question is getting the wrong information and might follow it. Then that person will tell others the bad advice and is just keeps going.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:48 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• "The moon is made out of cheese" is an example of misinformation. I've seen advice given on here (presented as social or medical fact) that is the factual equivalence of the statement "the moon is made out of cheese."

Sometimes people truly believe in what they're saying or believe the source that they heard it from. I hope anyone on here takes ALL advice with a grain of salt. You have no way of verifying the credentials of people who give advice here on CM. If the you-know-what hits the fan and they ended up being wrong "Sally Sue on CM told me it was OK (or that it worked for her)" IS NOT an acceptable excuse. I can't tell you how many times I've heard: "I did [insert non-doctor recommended thing here] and I was fine" or "my kids were fine" while encouraging others to play roulette because it turned out "ok" for them. "OK" is in the eyes of the beholder BTW and if your kid is only 3, how do you know they're OK!?
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:59 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Yes it does!
    Anonymous

• Why do you believe that the advice is wrong? Because everyone's circumstance is different, a piece of advice may be good for one but not the other.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 5:52 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• yes but I do my part to try and correct it
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 5:53 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• That's the internet for you though. If a person asks a question on the internet and follows that advice it's at their own risk imo.

Anonymous

• What exactly do you find misinformation. because some people consider it to be just against their beliefs, in many cases it may be the right information for one person but wrong for the other.
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 5:56 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• If it really is misinformation, yes. But if it is someones experience or opinion, not really. Just because someone says something doesn't mean that I believe what is said. I gather info and then make my own decision. Also, how would I know what is being said is wrong?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:59 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• OP here I am only talking about MISINFORMATION not opinions. No where did I say anything about different opinions.
    Anonymous

• OP....give us an example. To call something misinformation, you'd have to know the absolute truth about it, with all facts, and knowledge of anything connected to it. There are way too many grey area's in the world. Give us an example okay?
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 6:11 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• ADVICE is relative. Its all in perspective. INFORMATION such as fact or statistics should be accuate and backed up with reliable sources. I give advice all the time based on my own experiences because thats all I have....my own experiences. Its not necessarily wrong, but it might differ from someone elses. No, I don't worry about someone getting wrong information.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:39 PM on Mar. 25, 2009