Why do some parents start their infants on cereal before they are four months old. What are some reasons?

Just curious...

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 5:48 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Some people believe that it will make the baby feel fuller, longer. They don't realize that the baby is too young to digest it and it doesn't help baby at all it only causes problems.
    Anonymous

• I started giving my daughter rice cereal at like two months. She slept allllllllllllll night long!!!
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 5:52 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• They could have been recommended by their pediatrician to do it to help keep the formula down that they are constantly spitting up. (3 months)
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 5:52 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• They're either misinformed or they trust their doctors without doing the research themselves.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:53 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• and it didnt cause my girl any problems, I started her off with LITTLE amounts so that her body and digestive system got used to it.
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 5:53 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• BC some mommies want their child to have food allergies.
    Anonymous

• yes anon that is it. I thought to myself "screw the fact that she can't keep any formula down lets give her food allergies!" And BTW- my child has NO food allergies......
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 5:55 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• If a baby can't keep down formula it is probably a sign that she shouldn't be fed formula...
    Anonymous

• How can anyone really know the long term effects of giving food too early when their child is still young? Chances are when the long term effects do show up the mom will just blame it on something else and never make the connection.
    Anonymous

• Oh so she should starve?? Cause that was the ONLY option. I don't produce breast milk.... nice try though
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 5:59 PM on Mar. 25, 2009