What is the best way to potty train my dogs?

I have an 8 month old puppy and a 3 month old puppy. We got the boxer first, he is now around 8 months old. We got the 3 month old rot, in January, she was 6 weeks when we got her, so she is probably around 3 months to 4 months now. I am having alot of problems potty training them. When they poop in the house, I pick it up (with a towel obviously...lol) and I make them smell it, and send them outside, along with the poop on the towel, and put it where they should be going. Doesn't work. We have blocked the areas that they use the bathroom at using baby gates, but they find other spots. We have locked them in the cage when we leave or go to bed, but they are now going to the bathroom in the cage. I work all day, and my bf works all day as well. I'm tired of cleaning the mess. It is very stressful. I don't want to get rid of the dogs, and we don't have the extra money for a doggy daycare or a trainer. Any advice?

gerigirl90

Asked by gerigirl90 at 6:10 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Pets

• If you can't afford to pay someone to come in and help out during those long work hours, perhaps a neighbor or friend? That is a very long time for the little one to hold it. But you can teach them quick. Leave a leash on them all the time while in the house. Make them stay in the same room with you all the time. YOU have to be on it always. Every 45 minutes take them out to their spot. Give it a name. Be patient and wait. At any point when you see them "assume the position" in the house, grab the leash and quickly bring them out to the spot - again naming it, and praise like it's their birthday. If they're doing it in the crate, perhaps the crate is too big for the body size they are now. Put a box or something in the crate to shrink down the size. Try to stay calm, they'll stress with your body language and your smell.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 6:18 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• BTW...making them smell it does absolutely nothing...once theyve pooped they don't care....as soon as they eat with mine I take them out and they potty.
    what you should do is as SOON as they are done going bring them in. Its a lot harder for them to tell the difference if they play there also. so as soon as they go bring them in and praise them A LOT!! Be very consistent for a couple weeks. take them out every couple hours. don't let them stay out there tho.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:12 PM on Mar. 25, 2009