1 year old using a Nebulizer

Any ideas or tricks on how to get my 16 month old DD to relax for a breathing treatment???
They are every 6 hours, and we aren't doing so well at getting her comfortable with it.

mommy_bink

Asked by mommy_bink at 6:13 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Good luck! :) What approach are you using? For my dd (she's been on it since 12 weeks), we used the dinosaur mask and held it near her face. I put her in the high chair or booster so she couldn't move, then jsut sat with her and tried to move with her as she squirmed. Usually she'd calm down and tolerate it towards the end. Sometimes she is calm enough, she let me strap the dinosaur to her face and be fine. Others she'd have a fit. More recently we have switched to the adult face thing and hold it in front of her face. She doesn't like it touching her anymore, so has a fit if we use the mask. We still have to hold her. The last time we did 3 times a day, so I just snuck in while she was sleeping and it was soooo much easier to do that way.

Good luck!
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 6:19 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• My 3 kids have all gone through this. When they cry, my doctor said it is actually better as they inhale more med. You just have to hold firmly and know it will end. I'd do it for 4 min. and then be done. I'd ask your Dr. because ours said that was more than enough time--seeing as they are kids vs the adults who use the same meds.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 6:17 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I tried to do it on her when she fell asleep and she woke right up and tried to get away while screaming. Her very first one it took me and DH both to hold her down and it was horrible. Dr did tell us it is actually better when they cry, just cause they take more in. But man, if its just me, I don't know how to handle her.
    I guess I will try the highchair next time.
    mommy_bink

Answer by mommy_bink at 6:34 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Well, we started the neb process by holding them and while they screamed, they actually got more meds in them. After a while of doing that 3 times a day, they usually got calm and still. My older kids will sit and hold the neb themselves. Definately try putting them in a confining place or just in your lap. My husband is the one who did the holding down. It was not fun for us, but when the baby is coughing and wheezing all night, we knew it was for the best.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:49 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I think my DD is afraid of the noise. Maybe your daughter is too? I wonder if it would help to keep it as far away as possible or have loud music to help drown out the sound of it? I know my dd would hold it to her face when it was off, but wanted nothing to do with it when it was on. Just thinking here. put the tubing under the door and put nebulizer on one side and dd on the other. Maybe not seeing the machine would help? Plus maybe the closed door would muffle the noise?
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 7:17 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• the kit we got had a fish mask as well as the mouthpiece. After he got used to it, he loved the mask. In the beginning, we had to hold him tight while he screaming and struggled,but in the end he got the meds in. At times, we just held the tube w/o any attachments in front of his nose and mouth and let the steam get sucked in as he screamed.

Good luck.
    tabbykat6802

Answer by tabbykat6802 at 7:23 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• It helped my kids when I put an extra mask on their favorite stuffed animal.
    Would your child "suck" on the mouth piece? Put a piece of plastic wrap on the short end of the mouth piece (so all the air is forced to the mouth piece) and let your daughter "suck" on the longer end of the mouth piece. This also works to just hold it near the face while child is screaming & crying... GOOD LUCK! My kids have mostly grown out of having to use the Neb, but when they get congested, they actually ASK for the machine, because they know they are going to be able to breath better
    frasermom23

Answer by frasermom23 at 7:26 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I don't use the mask for my son. I just put the "adult" spout type thing that emits the medication vapors in front of his face. When he was just over a year he'd sit in one of our laps and watch tv while we give him the treatment. Now he just sits on the floor and watches tv during treatment. He does try to get away and so on but I run the machine for 15 minutes and I'd say at least half of the time if not more he's getting the meds because it does seem to make a difference.
    He's on an inhaler now too and we do one puff for daddy, one puff for him.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:13 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• At first I just held it in front of her and let her play with it. I made it more about getting her familiar with it than getting the medicine. She started playing with it and putting it in her mouth. Ever since then when she gets one she will put it in her mouth. I've also had friends wait till the child is asleep really deep and then hold it up to their face.
    taratt79

Answer by taratt79 at 9:33 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• my son started shortly after his 1 year bday, he was pretty interested in it though. But when he doesnt feel like doing it he gets really fussy. I bought him a magnadoodle to play with while he does his treatments. Also we read books or sing songs that make him use his hands like "the wheels on the bus" or 'itsy bitsy spider" Kinda keeps his mind of of it. And when he gets done i give him lots of hugs and kisses and high fives and tell him he is awesome and such a big boy. They like to know when the do good even at things as simple as meds. :) Keep trying! It will eventually work really well for you
    aidengrant07

Answer by aidengrant07 at 11:00 PM on Mar. 25, 2009