What age should a child be able to read

My daughter will be five in April and I am worried because she is not reading. She goes to a private school and I try helping her but she seems a little too slow. Her teachers are really good but I am worried.

toosassy

Asked by toosassy at 6:24 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daughters read by the end of Kindergarden. They didn't read big long word or anything, ask her teachers if she is at benchmark.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 6:56 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• She is still only 4. That is quite young. Mine were close to 6 at the end of K.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 6:57 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• They read when they are read. I think around 6 is a normal age. My oldest learned in kindergarten at 5 (she was reading Junie B Jones chapter books by the end of the school year). My son is 7 and learned this year in 1st grade (he turned 7 at the beginning of the school year) and is still struggling to read harder stuff. My middle daughter is 6 and in kindergarten and can't read. We're going to work on it this summer.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:25 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I resisted learning to read because I thought it meant that my parents wouldn't read to me anymore, lol! I think I ended up reading just after kindergarten, and after that I wouldn't stop, I loved reading. Your daughter is still a little young as far as average reading age goes...most kids have the capacity to learn to read around 6-7, I wouldn't be too worried.
    Guaranteed

Answer by Guaranteed at 9:22 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• some kids don't learn to read until as late as nine or eleven but when they are ready they learn quickly and read at or above grade level.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:50 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• She's only a preschooler! There's time! My son is in preschool and starting to read, but he's ADVANCED. (according to his teachers) She isn't behind.

They work on sight words and sounding out words in kindergarten. She will start reading then...and take of in first grade!!! You'll see!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:24 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• By the time they finish kindergarten they should be reading.
    Anonymous