He wants to put everything in his mouth!

My 4 mo son wants to put EVERYTHING in his mouth! Toys, his hands, my hands, anything and everything! I take it out and he puts it right back in. My grandma says that babies learn by putting things in their mouth. Im pretty sure hes teething. I bought him a teething ring but he doesnt seem interested in it at all! I'm scared of him getting germs or something. Is there anything I can do about this?

AdensMommy1107

Asked by AdensMommy1107 at 6:30 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I READ SOMEWHERE THAT BABIES
    PUTTING EVERYTHING IN THEIR
    MOUTH HELPS TO DISCOVER
    THE NEW TEXTURES.
    ALL BABIES PUT EVERYTHING
    IN THEIR MOUTH EXCEPT FOR
    THE TEETHING TOYS.
    YOUR BABY WILL GET GERMS,
    BUT INTRODUCING THEM TO
    GERMS (I BELIEVE) HELP TO
    BOOST THE IMMUNE SYSTEM AND
    PLUS MOST GERMS ARE HARMLESS
    ANYWAY.
    I DONT THINK THAT THERES ANYTHING
    YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT.
    ITS JUST A STAGE THAT HE WILL GET
    OVER.
    bronxcouture

Answer by bronxcouture at 6:33 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• That's how babies learn and understand the shape of objects.
    http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/development/inmouthexpert/

heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 6:34 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Nope. Really the only thing you can do is put up anything you don't want in his mouth. Once and a while wipe everything down or spray with lysol or disinfectant of your choice.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 6:37 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Yes he will get germs and the body has a lot of natural defences for those germs. As long as things are clean and no body else has them in their mouths he will be fine. Don't be gerophobic, kids get germs and they get sick. In most cases it actually helps their immune systems.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:07 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I know germs can be scary but some you CAN'T avoid. Yes rinse something off if it falls, avoid others touching everything that belongs to baby, hand washing is a great thing. But some germs are just always going to be there.
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 7:21 PM on Mar. 25, 2009