CRY BABY!

WELL MY BABY IS 6 MONTHS GOING TO 7 MONTHS THIS MONTH WELL HE ALWAYS WANTS TO BE CARRIED AND IF WE DONT PICK HIM UP HE CRIES AND CRIES INTILL SOMEBODY PICKS HIM UP WHAT CAN I DO SO HE WOULD STOP DOING THIS HABIT BECAUSE I KNOW ITS A HABIT..HELP PLEASE

noahsmommy-010

Asked by noahsmommy-010 at 6:40 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well I am an attachment parenter and I highly suggest getting a sling or baby carrier. It keeps your hands free and your baby happy. And its not a bad habit. Your baby just wants to be close to you. And he will grow out of it. We hold our daughter all the time and she is very independent at 5 months of age. But every kid is diffrent.
    MILFInProgress

Answer by MILFInProgress at 6:48 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• It's not a habit at 8 months old. Some babies need the reassurance more than others. Honestly the best way to get him used to not being held is to pick him up the instant he starts to cry. He will realize that you are right there for him and he will become more confident on his own because he knows mommy is just a wimper away. Take advantage of him being little and wanting to be held. You'll miss it when the day comes that he's too cool to be seen with mom anymore.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 6:48 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• At 8 months old it's not deliberate. I suggest a sling and wearing him as much as possible. The sling lits your hands be free and baby still gets attention.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:52 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I agree with the two above answers. Very smart mommies! You can't spoil a baby at this age. Mine was the same way for MONTHS!! And she hated every sling I tried. But I tried to be patient. And now, at 22 months, she is very confident and independent. I think at your DD age babies are looking for comfort and security. There is a book called the Happiest Baby on the Block that might help you.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 6:53 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• My thinking is that a baby can't HAVE a habit. Especially a "bad" habit that needs to be stopped.

Babies do develop to new stages that bring up new needs - such as starting to notice the difference between beloved mom and less familiar people whom he used to accept ... or the fact that a pacifier which USED to distract him does NOT meet his need for human contact & reassurance from those he loves, those he is bonded with.

Pressuring a child to "stop" needing something is a booby-trapped endeavor. Sure, you might get him to accept that you are not there when he needs you, but you risk convincing him that the world is a cold place and he is never safe. We all know such people and their lifelong problems.

Being carried is the hugest way a child develops both physically AND mentally. This phase will not last more than a few weeks/months.
    Carry him! Show him he can rely on you. Why not raise a happy healthy genius?
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 6:57 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Honestly I don't agree. But that's my opinion. My son started this when he was about four months or so. I didn't want it to become a habit, or him to be too attached or to get separation anxiety if I had to leave. So what I did was, put him in his crib/playpen and let him cry it out. I gave him toys. And checked on him about every fifteen/twenty mins to make sure he was okay. It took about one to two weeks but he got over it. =] Good luck. Hope this helped.
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 6:59 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• And btw. My son is ADVANCED mentally and physically. He's not at all behind. Not even three and knows shapes colors numbers and getting to know his ABC's. Sorry waldorfmom, but that is just a myth.
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 7:01 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Kids get seperation anxiety wether you hold them a lot or not. Its a develepmental realization that their parents are seperate from them and go away. The diffrence is my daughter knows that Mommy will always be there for her when she needs her. It is cruel to let a baby cry. God forbid your child want to be near you! Sure they get over it but how much damage are you causing ignoring your child when they need you? Sure there are times when you can't, but if you can hold your child why would you deny them that basic need?
    MILFInProgress

Answer by MILFInProgress at 7:22 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Your baby just wants to be held, pick them up.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 7:36 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I am one of those moms that picked up the baby as soon as he/she started to cry. I truly believe because of that they knew I would be there for them when they needed me and didn't cry very much as a result and they are all very independent kids.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 10:30 PM on Mar. 25, 2009