how big is too big...

how big does the baby have to be for an induction?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:45 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was told women don't grow babies that are too big unless there is some sort of medical condition like gestational diabetes going on as well. My Doula has seen women develop health babies in excess of 10lbs without any intervention.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 6:55 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I had an ultrasound the day before I was induced at 41 weeks. The ultrasound showed that my son was about 9 1/2 - 10 lbs. After I was induced I was in labor for 12 hours before the doctor's decided that it would be in our best interest to do a c-section. My son was born weighing 11 lbs. 10 oz. And I did NOT have GD or any other medical conditions. So, to FuzNet, who ever told you that did not know what they were talking about. I was not physically able to deliver a child that big. My doctor even told me that if I had of lived in the 1800's or earlier, I and the baby probably would have died trying to give birth. To the OP- it really depends on the doctor. Some doctor's will not even let you try to deliver the baby vaginally if the baby is over 10 lbs. I would ask your doctor and if you don't agree with their practices then I would find another doctor.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:05 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Only 12 hours before an induction? Why? That sucks :-/ My first induction lasted 36 hours and my son was fine. My last two labors were 30 hours. Sounds like a c-section happy doc to me! I know of women who have given birth to babies up to 13 pounds(the biggest was actually 13 pounds 4 ounces and not a tear!) vaginally with no problem. If you can make the baby, you can birth it.
    Anonymous

• ETA: I've actually only had one induction(out of pure stupidity). That should say my first labor. Oops.

Only 12 hours before an induction? Why? That sucks :-/ My first induction lasted 36 hours and my son was fine. My last two labors were 30 hours. Sounds like a c-section happy doc to me! I know of women who have given birth to babies up to 13 pounds(the biggest was actually 13 pounds 4 ounces and not a tear!) vaginally with no problem. If you can make the baby, you can birth it.
    Anonymous

• Doctors are not even suppose to interfere unless the baby is suspected to be over 11 lbs. Until then, you should not be induced, or anything. Inductions are FAR too risky.

As for a previous poster. Most women are in labor longer than 11 hours. I am sure the fact that you were induced had a lot to do with your inability to birth your baby, not the size.

It is a very rare condition in deed where the pelvis is *too small*, in fact it is often misdiagnosed because doctors need to find a reason for the c/s. Big babies are the perfect scapegoat and women often buy into it.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:38 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Depends on the size of the woman and the baby, if your feeling aprehensive, talk it over with your doc and be clear how much its stressin you out good luck
    madsmom314

Answer by madsmom314 at 7:45 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Anon- No, my doctor was not a c-section happy doctor. In fact he has the lowest c-section rates in our area. I know that women can give birth to 13 lb babies, my husband's grandmother did. I am not disputing that. What I am disputing is the comment that our bodies can not grow a baby it can not birth. I was glad that my doctor suggested a c-section because had I of tried to deliver vaginally any longer my son could have died. So, go ahead and sit upon your judgemental throne all you want. My son was born healthy and that is all that matters to me.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:47 PM on Mar. 25, 2009