HOW YOUNG IS TO YOUNG FOR YOUR CHILD TO PLAY OUTSIDE WITH FRIENDS?

My daughter is 6 1/2. She's loveable and loves playing outside with the other kids. Right now I don't live in the best of areas and the kids next door ae 9 and 11. The 11 year old girl walked my daughter to the nurses office because she didn't feel good today. The main problem I'm having is I don't think she should be really playing with kids that age. And I dont really like the neighbors mother. So with this being said how young is to young for a child to be playing outside with other kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:12 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well if you aren't comfortable with it I wouldn't allow it. I think its when YOU feel comfortable. Or when you KNOW your daughter is mature enough to handle a bad situation should it arise. Especially playing with older kids. They might be talking about inappropriate things at school. I'm twenty and when I was ten I found out what a virgin was. If the other girls are nine and eleven they may be talking about things you might not find suitable for your little girl. Good luck momma =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 7:16 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• id say 10. but what if your out there watching her?
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 7:17 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Depends on all the kids involved. My 6yo plays outside by herself. If no one else is out there she has to stay on the porch. If her brother, sister and/or the neighbor boys are out there she has more freedom. My 7 and 8 year olds are allowed to go from corner to corner now. Usually there are other kids out.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:23 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• i wonder about this 2. my little girl is 5 and we only have one neighbor with kids,but she always wants 2 be outside, even when i'm super busy. is she old enough 2 play outside by herself?
    pattisayshello

Answer by pattisayshello at 9:06 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• i say it depends on your child and where you live. we live in the country, but on a main road. so they are allowed to play out back as much as they want. they are not allowed in the front of the house because its a main highway. we dont even use the front door other than for my SD to catch the bus. my SKs are 8 and 5. We don't have any neighbors with kids so they play with each other, themselves, and sometimes cousins will come over. there isn't a "block" or sidewalk really.

if you aren't comfortable with your kids playing with those kids, then don't let him.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:51 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• We have the same problem, a 6 year old that wants to play outside. We have just limited her play to the back yard. I feel there it is less likely to have a problem with strangers. I check on her often and she NOT allowed in the front yard. If she breaks the rule, then she can't go back out for a bit. This is her first year out alone.
    danni33

Answer by danni33 at 10:32 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• It only takes a few seconds for a kid to run into the street and get hit by a car, or for someone to snatch your child. We live in a safe neighborhood and have about three dozen kids on our block. There is always a parent or teen outside watching the kids; it is not worth the risk of danger to have unsupervised kids outside.

On our block they play outside as soon as they start walking; the kids get lots of fresh air and sunshine and exercise.

Robin in Chicago

Answer by rkoloms at 7:49 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I think it all depends on the kid. Some 61/2 year olds are a little more mature then others. It also depends on where you live. IF its a bad neighborhood I wouldnt let my kiddo out without an adult. I dont know if I would be comfortable with letting my kiddo play with a 9 and 11 year old. Thats a big age difference. Im suprised they want to play with her. We live in a family oriented modular home park in the country. My daughter is 6 1/2 also, I let her go in the front yard when I have the door open But she has to stay where I can see her. They play side walk chalk, bubble, dolls stuff like that. If she wants to go in the back yard there has to be an adult out there.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:38 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I just had to put this in here! I have a little old lady in her 80's that lives next door who has raised 5 kids and one day she told me that when her kids were young, she used to tie string to their ankle and the other end of the string to her porch railing so that the kids could run and play in the yard but when they got to the end of the string they knew they couldn't go any further! She is the sweetest thing, I couldn't believe she even told me this!
    mrwinget

Answer by mrwinget at 9:09 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I let my 5 yo play in our fenced backyard while I am in the kitchen(the window overlooks the backyard) by himself. He knows not to go out of the backyard and I can hear and see him. As far as no supervision, I am not sure. It depends on what you are comfortable with. However a 11 yo and 9 yo don't have that much in common with a 6 yo, so I would be uncomfortable with that as well.
    It also depends on the laws where you live. Some are stricter than others. I have seen 3 and 4 yo playing by themselves in the front yard with no supervision what so ever, so maybe everyone has different ideas? It also depends on your child and their maturity level. Does she know about what to do if someone approaches her that she doesn't know? Good luck figuring out what to do mama, but I say go with your gut feelings.
    Anonymous