My Child Is Being Held Back?

My daughter is 6 1/2 and is way behind on her reading and I'm not against them holding her back but will this affect her socially?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It definiely could,trying to make new friends.Can she be helped with a tutor?
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:16 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• my son is going to be held back too and he's 5, i don't think so just think most kids start late anyway so she'll be about the same age as alot of kids, also was told that she'll be ahead of the kids in her class because she'll be doing things next year that she did this year when the other classmates will be just starting it.
    WhatevaItTakes

Answer by WhatevaItTakes at 7:16 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• sorry i meant he will will be ahead (my son) when his teacher explained it to me
    WhatevaItTakes

Answer by WhatevaItTakes at 7:17 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• my son just turned 9, and he was held back and now is the 2nd grade for the 2nd time. i don't think it affected him socially much. he has more friends this year than he did last year, and he is doing so much better academically, that i think it was a real blessing. also i think both your daughter and my son are young enough to adapt to anything.
    pattisayshello

Answer by pattisayshello at 8:43 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• If a child is just not catching up it is better to be held back earlier rather than later. I would also talk to the school and see if its possible that if she catches up she can go ahead and move foward early (1st quarter) of the next year.
    Because she is so young it may affect very little or possible even to an advantage as she will be more socially mature. It all depends on your daughter and who she is and how its handled by all.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:01 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• It might affect her, but honestly, it's better she is held back now rather than later when kids will REALLY notice it.

(my opinion)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:22 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• No, it won't. I held my daughter back in kindergarten because she had a hard time reading. She is now 8 and just really getting it. Some kids just have a hard time learning to read. My three boys were reading Magic Tree house in Kindergarten.
    My best suggestion to you is over the summer read to her alot. There are some good books to help her over the summer as well. Borders has some beginner readers by Nora Gaydos. I also use Explode the Code by EPS Books. For you there is Teach your Child to read in 100 easy lessons and Reading Reflex. Your library probably has the last two. Hope this helps.
    smartiemouth

Answer by smartiemouth at 7:01 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• it depends on what size town you live in i mean if you live in a town of 500 people and theres only one school then yes everyone will know she was the one who got held back but if you live in a reasonable sizse town and she can make new friends in her class this year then sure she will be fine and the extra year will help her reading alot
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 7:04 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I was held back in first grade for the same reason and I have no social issues. It's better now than later.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:36 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• How much time do you spend reading with your daughter? Does she spend more time with books or TV and videos?

You should be going to a library at least every other week. Label everything in your house with pieces of paper: WALL, DOOR, etc.

It is so critical to instill a love of reading and learning before your child gets any older.

Robin in Chicago

Answer by rkoloms at 7:42 AM on Mar. 26, 2009