How much home work does you

child get?

When looking over your childs school work, if they are struggling in a certain subject do you give them practice home work at home?

What is your childs attitude about you giving them practice homework?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:17 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I have a fifth grader that struggles so I always ask his teacher for extra practice work that we can do on the weekends he gets upset about doing extra work but it helps him in the long run ..
    LatinMamiOf2

Answer by LatinMamiOf2 at 10:28 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• My son is nine and he really does not have much homework. His teacher sends home a packet each Friday that is due the following Friday. It is about 30 minutes worth of work tops (for the whole week). They are also required to read and log their reading minutes (she wants them to read 30 mins a day) and turn that in on Fridays as well. He struggles with math and I am going to get him a tutor because I am TERRIBLE and math and am no help to him. I am so bad at it so I have no idea how to actually help or teach him strategies to get better at it. He would be fine with me giving him some extra practice sheets which I am hoping a tutor will be able to help with.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:28 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• My son is in 7th grade and doesn't get much homework. Usually 1 math assignment that takes about 15 min for him to complete. Before you get a math tutor, talk to his teacher on what he needs to work on. Then go to www.math.com and get the extra practice sheets he needs. If he has an older sibling or cousin that could help him, try that. Or one of his friends that is better in math.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:40 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• my SS daughter is 8 (so a little younger). she has about an hours worth of homework a night:

Math: One or Two sheets a night

Poem: I read it to her, she reads it back and then we do about 3 games from the back sheet.

Spelling: There are spelling activities. We do one spelling practice activity a night.

Reading: She has to read for her homework log, I write down the number of pages and how many minutes she read. The goal is at least 10 minutes or one book.

AR Reading: Each week she takes at least one test on reading comprehension. over AR books. So we have her read the book at least 3 times at home. So each night we will read the AR book once. That ranges from 10 to 30 minutes.

Cursive: Sometimes she brings home cursive practice. We do one side a night.

I would love to do extra, but that takes almost an hour. Anymore than that and I think I would lose her.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:03 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• My 10 yo dd has a homework folder that she brings home each day that we have to sign after she does 30 min of reading each day. She has to practice her spelling at least 2 x's a week and that has to be cked also by us. She struggles in math a bit and neither her dd or I know the new math well so she asks the teacher if she gets stuck on a problem. I have looked things up on the internet for practice but some aren't like she does at school. All other work is done in school. She brings a portfolio home 2 x's a year, (the largest one). It sure looks like she is doing a lot in school. Sure hope so as she starts middle school next year (5th grade) and things get tough then, I hear.
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 10:48 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• My son has a lot of homework! When he struggles on a subject yes, we practice as much as we can at home but if hes still not getting it I talk to his teacher and she makes time for him after school to go over it with him again. Being in communication with his teachers is a big help and is very important, we can only help so much it takes parents and teachers. Try not to over do it, kids get over welmed easy.
    sholie

Answer by sholie at 4:12 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Sorry, we do an online school at home, so my 5th grader's is ALL homework....but I do give her extra practice if there is something she is struggling with.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 3:32 PM on Mar. 27, 2009