Spin off question

The epidural question got me thinking. A lot of women on here feel that others are judgmental. I can only speak for myself here, but I personally try to spread info for the benefit of others. I don't judge people for their decisions but I will always offer them information. What they do with it from then on is up to them.

If someone politely sat you down to talk about risks and dangers associated with common procedures would you be more likely to look into it further? Or would you still find them judgemental and shrug them off? Would you take the time to follow up on their sources or toss it in the trash? Would you take the information given to your doctor and ask them to provide proof that it's wrong? What if they couldn't?

No rude replies please, I'm just trying to get a better understanding for how women feel about this.

Lilbeamercomin

Asked by Lilbeamercomin at 7:20 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I wouldn't trust a mom on cafemom over my doctor.
    Anonymous

• I mean in person, not on CM per say.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 7:28 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• The question makes no sense really. If it was my doctor, yeah I'd listen. If it was my mom or some "person" nope...I would talk to my doctor
    Anonymous

• I would gladly take their information and look into further. But I do that with women on cafemom too. I think 90 percent of the *judgmental* women are called that because other women either feel guilty about choices they make, or don't understand what that person is saying :)

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:33 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• GAH! I hate the blind faith people put into doctors! this explains why our c/s rate, infant mortality rate, maternal death rate, and other issues are on the rise and highest in our country compared to other countries!

It is ALWAYS good to consider alternative advice, methods, etc. Look into it for yourself but don't blow off someone genuinely trying to help!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:34 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• If somebody was trying to share information about something that might be harmful to me or my baby, absolutely, I'd take that info, look further into it and ask my doctor. It is ridiculous to think that one person knows everything, even if M.D. follows their name. Someone might "just be a mom" but if they care enough to share what they might have learned and provide me with some information, I'd absolutely listen. Listening to someone's advice and actually looking things up for yourself are not signs of ignorance or weakness or stupidity, in fact, just the opposite. I think someone who would blindly follow ANYTHING is lacking in the intelligence department.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 7:35 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• The question makes sense. If a woman gave you information would you look into it further or shrug it off? I don't see why it being a doctor or not makes a difference in a hypothetical question. Say it's a midwife, or a doula, or a birth advocate, or a woman who's had 20 babies. Whatever the case may be. Part of the question is would you take the information given to you to your doctor and have them provide information to disprove it?
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 7:35 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• What if a doctor wouldn't  give you honest answers because they have their best interest at heart to do all the episiotomies, inductions, c-sections etc?? No matter what your docor says or what anyone says you should do the research for yourself. A lot of people no matter who tells them what they are just hard headed to consider anything anyways.

hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 7:42 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Celtic-you're right b/c google and cafemom is soooo reliable. lol Show me your sources for your "facts"

OP-it depedns on WHO the person is that is lending their knowledge
    Anonymous

• I have never given anyone information that wasn't backed up by a doctor, midwife, herbalist, doula, lactation consultant, or any other professional, or organization.

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:50 PM on Mar. 25, 2009