how do you feel about home school?

I have kids that go to public and some prefer online schooling. I recognize both ends of the subject. They both have pros and cons.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:26 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• My son goes to public school. We live in one of the most sought after school districts in the state. I have had my issues though and sometimes consider home schooling. I feel that if a parent knows their child well they will know what is best for them.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 7:28 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I am doing online schooling. I went to public school for 11 years but once I moved I opted for virtual school. Its good in that I can take care of my son during the day. However I dont think I would like it if I didnt have my son to take care of all day. It makes you feel a bit isolated. Ive never spoken to the other students..and I am a senior so theres going to be a prom, but really who wants to go dance with 40 other people theyve never seen before (thats right, my class only has 40 kids) SO I would say that in my situation (being a mom) online schooling works out really good for me. But I think for other teenagers it isolates them.
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 7:33 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I think KTMOM gave a good answer. I would have not thrived the way I did i in high school if I were homeschooled. I was in Student Council from 4th grade thru Senior year..and lots of other school activities. All the opportunities I had really molded who I am today. My husband is the same way.
    I also think children/teens should be around peers who are NOT like them. Different cultures, races, economic classes, personality differences...all that is an important part of education. If you can make sure your child gets all of this AND homeschool then thats great, but alot of parents can't do all that.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 7:36 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I feel I don't have the dedication to do it properly...not right now. In a few years, who knows? Things might change. But right now, it's not for me.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:46 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I am a homeschooler (not an online school), My kids are 10, 6, 5, & 2. They've never attended public schools.

So, I guess you could say I'm okay with homeschooling. :-)
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 7:47 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I went to public school k-8 and my senior year - so I was homeschooled 9-11... I matured a lot faster when I was homeschooled... there were sports still and other activities, so I don't feel I missed out at all... and when i went back to public school my senior year (to graduate with some of my friends)... It was rediculous... so much drama... peer pressures and a lot of other things that were an aboslute waste of time.... everyone messed around so much and focused on social status... I really don't think I learned much of anything... except that I would rather have stayed in homeschool...
    With the way things are in the world today - and I assume will be by the time my kids reach school age - I fully intend to homeschool them and won't think twice about it. But to each his own....
    JOKAMAMA

Answer by JOKAMAMA at 8:48 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• My DH and I have seriously considered homeschooling our daughter. She is 2 right now, so we still have some time to decide. My DH will soon be graduating from college and we are planning on having the opportunity to travel for a few years. Lol, not travel for a few years, but relocate for his job. Anyways, we think this would be most beneficial to our DD. We don't want her in 2 or 3 different schools a year, in strange cities. I'm not a genius. by any means, but I think I am smart enough, along with my DH, to give our daughter an education that is as good, if not better, than she would receive in the public school system.
    Mizzjos

Answer by Mizzjos at 10:04 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• We don't have children yet, but DH and I have already decided that our kids will be homeschooled. There is no way that I would send my kids to public school.
    BethTTC

Answer by BethTTC at 11:05 PM on Mar. 25, 2009