What can I do to help me sleep at night?

Let me start out by saying, that I have been alcohol free for 3 months. I am 32, and I started drinking at 19. I didn't drink when I was preggos with my son. But, Jan 5 was my last day drinking. I used to take Nyquil to help me sleep on the days I didn't drink. Well, I took that away because it has alcohol in it. So I use Unisom and Melatonin. At first, that worked, 2 Unisoms and 2 Melatonins. Now, I am up to 4 Unisoms and 4 Melatonins. There have been nights I have taking even more then that. I have anxiety, and I'm starting to wonder if I have insomnia. I have tried warm milk, doesn't work. I have tried sewing before bed (very calming for me), doesn't work. I don't know what else to try. I work all day. I get up at 6:30am. There are times I can't fall asleep until 4 or 5 am. Then the next day is horrible because I'm so tired. But, I still won't sleep the next night. What else can I do?

gerigirl90

Asked by gerigirl90 at 7:26 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Health

• listening to music helps me fall asleep, my mind never stops thinking at night before i fall asleep, so when i listen to music i can concentrate on that, and not everything else thats bugging me
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 7:41 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Get a prescription sleep aid if all else fails. Ambien is great for that if you take it for a few days, long enough to knock your sleep back in cycle.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:43 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I have taken the melatonin and you arent supposed to take more than one..you are over medicating yourself. Its probably stress related so why not go to your doc for his professional opinion. Im sure he can find something to help.
    guardmp_MOM

Answer by guardmp_MOM at 5:16 PM on Mar. 26, 2009