weaning to cow milk

my daughter will be a year in 3 weeks or less. she's only been a breastfed baby so i wondered is it ok to mix half and half for her?? I've given her milk before she seems fine i haven't noticed a reaction to the milk or anything Is it ok to continue?

MonicaGreer21

Asked by MonicaGreer21 at 7:29 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's up to you. You can just switch cold turkey - many do and have no problems. Or you can slowly increase the amount of cow's milk so she adjusts to the taste as well as different protiens.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:32 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• what kind is the best to start off at whole 1% 2% i don't know where to start
    MonicaGreer21

Answer by MonicaGreer21 at 7:51 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• With most of my boys, I started at about 11 mths old and started 2 oz. at a time until by the time they were 1, they were on cow's milk. One of my boys it took me longer, he had to have soy milk. I always used 2% and still do now.
    nAnTcElOu

Answer by nAnTcElOu at 8:01 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• You should use whole milk for the first couple of years not 2%.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:40 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I put my daughter on whole milk when she was 1. It made her sick though so she had to be put on lactaid until she was 2. I put her on milk cold tukey, so maybe that is why she developed an allergy?!?
    hannahlove27

Answer by hannahlove27 at 9:02 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• We did cold turkey with our first two at 1 yr old. Our son gets an occassional sippy cup of milk once or twice a week and he is 11 months.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 10:24 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• If she hasn't had any problems then I would switch her over. I started mine on milk at 10 months but they were on homeade formula so the transition was real easy.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:48 PM on Mar. 25, 2009