do you think?

do you think all women and their babies should be given a drug test at birth irregardless of anything. i know its mandatory at some hospitals but i think it should be all. women who do drugs while they are pregnant have no right to be a mother because obviously they are being selfish putting the baby in danger

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:29 PM on Mar. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• As I'm related to a former susbstance abuser, I know a little bit... My half-sister was a crackhead (seriously) for a number of years, and one of her kids (who's 18 now) was a "crack-baby." She gave birth to 7 but raised none of them; and, she was on crack with the last 6 (ages 9-19). However, the hospital did do a drug test when she arrived in labor but under the influence. That was the only child she couldn't take home with her. (DSS did end up taking all of them and placed them with our family.) Maybe if there had been mandatory testing, she wouldn't have been able to continue having children. And, while I love all of my nieces and nephews they have suffered because of her actions. And, I don't have enough space to elaborate...
    jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 7:40 PM on Mar. 25, 2009